WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: Chromium downloaded files not fully integrated with OS/Filesystem  (Read 2877 times)

Offline baz

Hello,

When you download a file using google chrome, a representation of it appears in the bottom status bar. Normally you would be able to click on it to launch the file, or use the arrow to "Show in Folder". On TC, those don't work, and I'm coming to realize how important those features are to normal workflow. Is there a fix or workaround I could implement? One thing to note is that you can drag and drop the files, like for example if you downloaded a movie you could drag that into vlc - so there is some sort of integration.

Cheers,
Baz

Offline althalus

Re: Chromium downloaded files not fully integrated with OS/Filesystem
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2010, 04:02:43 PM »
Probably needs XDG set up, if you don't have it already. And if you work it out, please share your experiences with the rest of us! :P

Offline baz

« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2010, 04:04:26 PM »
Thanks for the suggestion, I'm willing to give it a go. Would you mind telling me a bit more about XDG, and what to start looking into?

Offline althalus

« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2010, 04:49:57 PM »
Slow day at work, and your question got me curious again myself. I tried a while ago and could never work it out.

I think the xdg-utils extension is broken.
1. If you're not using gnome or KDE, xdg-mime EXPECTS to find the `file`command in /usr/bin - Which means file.tcz should probably be a dep, and it's not in /usr/bin anyway.

2. xdg-open is a bit limited. if you aren't running gnome/kde/xfce, it tries to open your file in the first browser it finds (of the selection firefox, mozilla, netscape), rather than whatever you've told xdg-mime you want to use.

So a "Wow, this really doesn't work the way I want it to" solution if you aren't using XFCE, Gnome, or KDE goes something like this (You probably just want to skip down to the alternative below):
1. install xdg-utils.tcz
2. install file.tcz
3. install firefox.tcz
4. cd /usr/bin; sudo ln -s /usr/local/bin/file
5. Download something in chrome, click on it, and it will open in firefox! (hahaha fail)

Alternatively, untested:
doesn't work the way I want it to" solution goes something like this:
1. install xdg-utils.tcz
2. install file.tcz
3. install xfce.tcz
4. cd /usr/bin; sudo ln -s /usr/local/bin/file
5. xdg-mime default <application> <mimetype> (ie xdg-mime default evince application/pdf) (xfce might even provide it's own defaults if you're lucky)
6. Download a PDF in chrome, and click on it.

Offline baz

« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2010, 04:56:31 PM »
Ok, glad you looked into as all that is way beyond my skill set :)

I use XFCE by the way and its the same.

Offline althalus

« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2010, 05:08:39 PM »
And I also forgot to mention that you need the full Xorg installed. Neither Xvesa nor the xlibs_support.tcz have the xprop command, which xdg-utils depends on but doesn't list in it's deps.

I use XFCE by the way and its the same.
Sorry, not sure I quite follow you there - the same as what?

Offline baz

« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2010, 05:13:09 PM »
Oh, you said "if you aren't using XFCE, Gnome, or KDE", and I just wanted to let you know I am. I'm also using Xorg. So should I test the 2nd solution? Do you think these are things that could be fixed in the packaging to make it automatic?

Offline althalus

« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2010, 05:47:01 PM »
The only real difference between the first and second set of instructions, was that the second set included a command for specifying default applications from command line using xdg-mime, and suggested to install XFCE instead of firefox.

Testing my own instructions, it becomes apparent that while xdg-open works in XFCE, xdg-mime does not, and subsequently, everything seems to go pear shaped in xfce. a bit of hacking on the xdg-mime script can make it work though.

The xdg-utils package definitely has room for improvement. I'll get in touch with with the package maintainer (Arslan), and see about getting a version built specifically for TC - maybe even generalize it enough to work no matter what DE is installed.

Offline jls

dCore user

Offline althalus

« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2010, 06:00:04 PM »
http://forum.tinycorelinux.net/index.php?topic=5476.0
That must be specific to midori.
Chromium utilises the xdg-open command, which tries to decide what to do based on your desktop environment (launching firefox, netscape, or mozilla if it can't tell what your DE is). Simply setting the mime type isn't enough, so midori obviously handles opening files differently.