Tiny Core Base > TCB Q&A Forum

TC only recognizes 2gb of 6gb ram

(1/2) > >>

baz:
I installed TC 2.10 on my core i7 desktop with 6gb of ram, however TC only reports 2 gb total. What's the story?

Cheers,
Baz

Juanito:
tc is 32-bit and thus can only access up to 4gb ram - I would have thought you would see 3.5gb or so available, not 2gb...

gutmensch:
In general the ram you can address when using a 32 bit version of any operating system is the amount of 4 GB minus the memory of every other pci device, because that memory will be mapped before using any more ram.

In this case: 6 GB reduces to 4 GB because of 32 bit addressing, and maybe 4 GB - 1 GB because of your graphics adapter memory, and some other stuff you get a total of 2 GB usable ram, the rest is needed for adressing the mentioned graphics memory etc.

bmarkus:

--- Quote from: gutmensch on March 24, 2010, 08:10:17 AM ---In general the ram you can address when using a 32 bit version of any operating system is the amount of 4 GB minus the memory of every other pci device, because that memory will be mapped before using any more ram.

In this case: 6 GB reduces to 4 GB because of 32 bit addressing, and maybe 4 GB - 1 GB because of your graphics adapter memory, and some other stuff you get a total of 2 GB usable ram, the rest is needed for adressing the mentioned graphics memory etc.

--- End quote ---

Onboard video with 1GB RAM? Possible, but I doubt.

gutmensch:
hm I don't think he will only have onboard gfx with a core i7 and 6 gb of ram?! maybe both - onboard and pci express graphics and that's why the memory mapping is taking so much memory ;-)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version