WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: extension installation will eventually fail after about 7-10 have been installed  (Read 3094 times)

Offline bigpcman

I've been experimenting with the optional application installation process for awhile now and have discovered that after about 7-10 tcz extensions have been installed the "next" one will fail to install. The number and order does seem to affect what happens. In all cases the dialog completes ok but some part of the install fails. Sometimes the extension is in the /usr/local/tce-installed directory but no icon (gimp2 for example) is present other times the icon is present but doesn't do anything. Afer a failure occurs no other extensions will install.

The applications I have been installing are: Mplayer(2), Asunder, audacious, opera, minefield, emelfm2, leafpad, beaver, Ace of penquins, flash, lame, ogg, flack and oo2. I have tried many different combinations and sooner or later a failure occurs.

According to "top" I have plenty of memory.

Note all bootups were done norestore nolocal tce=sda1.

My computer is currently in the failed state if someone wants me to try something I can do it now.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2009, 11:43:47 AM by bigpcman »
big pc man

Offline curaga

• Administrator
You are probably running out of loop devices. The default now is 8, which will be raised to 80 in the next kernel update.

To fix that, add "max_loop=100" to your boot arguments. HTH
The only barriers that can stop you are the ones you create yourself.

Offline bigpcman

Thanks. That fixed everything. Wow that's an important boot code to know!
big pc man

Offline softwaregurl

• Suspended
this won't be important with 80 loop files, but i'm guessing that any tcz's with dependencies will use a loop for each?
Old wounds that have never healed need to be re-exposed before the cure can be applied.  The cure must be available before the wound is re-exposed.

Offline Jason W

• Administrator
Yes, tcz's each use one loop file each whether they are installed as dependencies or not.