WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: Tinycore in Virtual Box on Vista Host integration  (Read 5374 times)

Offline edmenje

Tinycore in Virtual Box on Vista Host integration
« on: March 15, 2010, 06:37:53 PM »
I've installed TC 2.9 in VB on my Vista machine.  In order to have access to a shared folder on the host system and for running in seamless mode I need to be able to install dkms and VboxLinuxAdditions.  With an Ubuntu installed VM this was extremely simple to do with an apt-get install dkms command followed by a few additional terminal commands to copy and install the guest additions from the iso.  I would love to do this for Tinycore but I'm not that advanced a user to be able to figure out how or even if this can be done with TC.

Can I install these, or do tcz's have to be compiled for integration?  I'm not that advanced to be able to work this out on my own, but am able to follow directions and understand the concepts once I'm given the steps and the commands to enter in a terminal window.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

EDIT: Well, I looked at another thread here and found some of the answers...Vbox additions is already available as tcz...oops missed that earlier...I'll try installing that and see what I can do with it, but if someone has a tip or two on making it work...
« Last Edit: March 15, 2010, 06:59:58 PM by edmenje »
The only binaries that can stop you are the ones you compile yourself  ;-)

Offline gutmensch

• Administrator
  • I can make it disappear, have no fear!
    • remembrance blog
Re: Tinycore in Virtual Box on Vista Host integration
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2010, 07:36:52 AM »
It's always a good idea to take a look at the repo and the according info file from the mentioned extension. There should be all hints to get it to work ;-)

Btw. dkms is only a module maintaining tool from debian/related, you won't need that because the tinycore kernel is not updated during one stable release (in contrast to the ones from other distros). The maintainer (in this case Kingdomcome) takes care that the additions run on the current tinycore version.
If I seem unduly clear to you, you must have misunderstood what I said. (Alan Greenspan)