WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: piix4_smbus ... force_addr=0xaddr after installing alsa.tcz  (Read 7014 times)

Offline meanpt

Hi,

I'm posting here because:
a) this isn't a bug
b) relates to an installed tc 2.9 as a guest in VirtutualBox, running in a W Vista host
c) the themes being discussed in the other talks made me think there wasn't the right place to post this one.

On the subject:

I couldn't find a boot file and, because it happens too fast, I'm not able to read the error message completely.

I installed firefox, rebooted, installed flash, rebooted, tested flash under firefox and everything ran  fine, but without sound. Then, I installed alsa, added to bootlocal.sh the lines

sleep
usr/local/etc/init.d/alsasaound start

and rebooted.

Since the the first reboot after the installation of alsa.tcz, I get the subject's mentioned error line.
I couldn't find a boot file and, because it happens too fast, I'm not able to read the error message completely. Nonetheless, these are the first and last words:

piix4_smbus  ... (bla bla bla) ... force_addr=0xaddr

At the same time, I started experiencing complete freezes of firefox, needing a Xkill to close firefox, anytime I open more than one youtube video simultaneously.  I'm using 256 MB of RAM in my virtual machine.

I don't know if with alsa some kind of volume icontrol is supplied, as no volume control is shown anywhere - what comes is what I get, loud, low or near silent.

On the right side, I do get flash working with the sound.

Any clues on how to have this solved?

Many thanks,

Mean ... as meaner you can be ...

Offline curaga

• Administrator
Re: piix4_smbus ... force_addr=0xaddr after installing alsa.tcz
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2010, 02:11:06 AM »
Try the "pause" bootcode :)

Flash is not stable or lean. It can exhaust all your ram even with a single long youtube video. In that case there might not be much you can do, maybe flash has some cache settings?

Alsamixer is included, it's a command line mixer. If you prefer a gui, there are some available separately, the smallest should be alsamixergui.
The only barriers that can stop you are the ones you create yourself.

Offline meanpt

« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2010, 03:12:14 AM »
Hi, curaga  ( ;D so, you're one of those *.tcz authored stuff), thanks for the feed back.

1- boot code? I was able to key in boot codes during the boot of a live session, after pressing F2 or F3, but not now, after the installation on a hard disk. Of course, there may be a way to do it  - any help on this? By the way, I tryid the pause key but it doesn't work.

2 - uninstalled alsa and the warning/error message is gone.  I'm using OSS and things seems to run smoothly, with a glitch here and there, but running.

3 - once I know how to overcome the problem with alsa, I'll try it again and will install the mixer you suggested - thanks.

4 - flash is no good? ... well, is much better than many other previous and heavier formats  ... but ... is there any real good and non jerky alternative to play flashy stuff without bloating my ram? ...  :) I need to know it :) ... I did hear of some projects, still without results for testing ...

5 - cache settings in flash? ... don't know, never messed with flash player  but I thought anything the browser does through the installed pluggins is handled by the browser ... OS ... after all, plugins are downloaded for specific OS's and browsers ... do you want me to ask it to adobe?

Thanks

Offline curaga

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2010, 04:17:26 AM »
If installed on a disk, it depends on your boot loader. For example if you use grub, you can press e and edit the boot line just for that boot.

We have gnash in the repo, it might behave better.

Google gave this for Flash settings:
http://www.macromedia.com/support/documentation/en/flashplayer/help/settings_manager07.html
The only barriers that can stop you are the ones you create yourself.

Offline meanpt

« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2010, 11:28:41 AM »
Hi,

After installing TC 2.10:

Gnash ... after installed as a plugin in shiretoko, still didn't work at all for youtube videos. So, I reinstalled flash.
Alsa isn't working and the same warning message is shown during booting