WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: Vbox 3.1.2 and 3.1.4: FireFox 3.6 and similar : Alt Gr characters not working  (Read 7287 times)

Offline meanpt

VirtualBox 3.1.2 and 3.1.4, plus TinyCore as Guest, runnin in a Wind Vista Host
Either with the default keymap or with a pt-latin1 or 9 keymap

Problem description: Alt Gr key not working in Ffox 3.6, Icecat, Midori ... and so on
Exceptions: Arora, text editors and file browsers

Similar problems with other minimal linux distributions: the same happens with WebConverger and XPUD as guests in virtualbox 3.1.4 and 3.1.2

Question: Am I the only one having this problem? That would be too peculiar  ::)

Offline gutmensch

• Administrator
  • I can make it disappear, have no fear!
    • remembrance blog
You're not the only one... and a search in this forum would have revealed that ;-)

See http://tinycorelinux.com/faq.html#xmodmap
If I seem unduly clear to you, you must have misunderstood what I said. (Alan Greenspan)

Offline meanpt

... hum ... I did search the forums without meaningfull results (was looking for a virtualboxproblem) and saw it in the FAQ but as never noticed that problem before, thought it was for real installations in older computers or something like that, not for running TC as guest IN virtualbox.
But, where the hell is the .xsession file? ... please, don't ask me to look in the forums or search the FAQ  ;D

Offline curaga

• Administrator
In your home directory ;) Files without a path mentioned tend to be either there or in /opt in TC.
The only barriers that can stop you are the ones you create yourself.

Offline meanpt

:-\ no, there isn-t any .xsession file in the directories you mentioned. I looked in almost all directories and didn-t find it either. Is there a file finder I can install to look for it_

Offline curaga

• Administrator
Open a shell

ls -a

Offline meanpt

8) ... forget it ... I turned the hidden files not hidden and found it  ;) :D ... I'm usxing  xfe

Offline meanpt

Hi,

This is what worked: first, I had to ignore the point where the FAQ states the command line should be inserted, because that information isn't updated; second, to create a new line before "Desktop ...; third, to paste the command in the new created line.

The begin of the sile came as follow:

Xvesa -br -screen 1024x768x32 -shadow -mouse /dev/input/mice,5 -nolisten tcp -I >/dev/null 2>&1 &
waitforX
sleep 3 && xmodmap -e "clear Mod4" -e "add Mod5 = Mode_switch" &
"$DESKTOP" 2>/tmp/wm_errors &

;D Many thanks

Offline curaga

• Administrator
Updated the faq entry, thanks for mentioning.