WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: Suggestion regarding appbrowser and wbar.  (Read 2395 times)

Offline sandras

Suggestion regarding appbrowser and wbar.
« on: March 15, 2010, 02:11:07 PM »
I use tinyocre 2.9 with the bootcode noicons and start my custom wbar from ~/.xsession. When I install something using the appbrowser the wbar is restarted but now with the TC generated icons. I believe TC should not do any operations with the wbar at all if the noicons bootcode is used. So, could/should it be changed in the future releases?
« Last Edit: March 15, 2010, 02:14:04 PM by Sandras »

Offline roberts

• Administrator
  • Founder Emeritus
Re: Suggestion regarding appbrowser and wbar.
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2010, 07:25:10 AM »
I wouldn't know about a custom wbar setup, but on standard setup, I cannot reproduce.
wbar is called via a wrapper wbar.sh which only restarts wbar if ICONS=wbar, which it does not when the boot code nocions is used.

Check the result of
echo $ICONS
10+ Years Contributing to Linux Open Source Projects.

Offline sandras

« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2010, 07:44:22 PM »
echo $ICONS
wbar

Now I made an experiment.
1. Booted TC2.9 from cd with bootcodes base noicons and echo $ICONS didn't say wbar.
2. Installed wbar.tcz to my hard drive. After a reboot with noicons the echo $ICONS said wbar again and wbar itself was on.

I played with it more than that and as far as I remember when I used the base noicons bootcodes and tce-load'ed wbar from the hard drive the ICONS variable wasn't set to wbar. It seems the boot process has something to do with it.

Anyway, I'm quite new to Linux, plus it's late and I'm tired, so I hope I remembered everything correctly and pointed out everything clearly.

Offline roberts

• Administrator
  • Founder Emeritus
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2010, 08:58:41 PM »
Why would you load wbar.tcz when wbar is already part of Tiny Core?
The wbar.tcz as noted in the info file is for Microcore. And for microcore, if you did not want wbar, you would not load it.

Offline sandras

« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2010, 03:34:01 AM »
That's funny I really screwed up on that one. It's just that I felt more comfortable using a GUI for this task. My bad. TC is not the same as MC and the bug (?) may not have appeared in MC. In TC you don't load wbar at start up since it's already built in so it doesn't even make a difference because the bug appears when loading wbar at start up.

Anyway. I repeated the test with MC 2.9. The ICONS variable is empty when using bootcode noicons and loading wbar at boot time whitout Xlibz.gz Xprogs.gz and Xvesa.gz. Now when doing the same thing with X*.gz the ICONS variable is set to wbar and the wbar is on.

Hope this time I did everything right. Sorry for the mess. I ussually use MC and that's why I have wbar as an extension.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2010, 08:56:42 AM by Sandras »

Offline robc

« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2010, 09:50:42 AM »
Why would you load wbar.tcz when wbar is already part of Tiny Core?
The wbar.tcz as noted in the info file is for Microcore. And for microcore, if you did not want wbar, you would not load it.
If wbar and flwm_topside are already present as packages/extensions in TC, then shouldn't there be install files located in /usr/local/tce.installed to indicate this?
That would prevent this from happening...
"Never give up! Never surrender!" - Commander Peter Quincy Taggart

"Make it so." - Captain Picard

Offline roberts

• Administrator
  • Founder Emeritus
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2010, 12:11:48 PM »
If you must know...

Because they are used in the process if building Tiny Core from Micro Core.
Therefore their /usr and not /usr/local locations.

Their packaging as extensions are solely for Micro Core.

One should always read the info. Failing to do so may result in unpredictable results.
Their info does not state it is PPI and in fact specifically states they are for Micro Core.