WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: SOLVED Hard Drive Recognition  (Read 1670 times)

Offline cfatls

SOLVED Hard Drive Recognition
« on: March 13, 2010, 07:03:48 PM »
Hello,

I´m a prevoius wondows user and linux newbie who was drawn to tinycore due to the fact that it has complete ease of use and you can get a running system with no previous knowledge of linux. However, that itself has been a limitation. I have several "tiny" issues that I have no idea how to work around, and was hoping to find help here.

Here it goes:

1)Tiny Core can´t seem to "recognize" or mount my hard drive.
It´s a hitachi HDT725050VLA SCI disk device. It's an NTFS partition.
It can only mount my imation 512 mb usb drive (Fat32).

2) Can´t get the full resolution  (1440*900) of my LG W1934S monitor to work. Do i need to download any app to make it work?

3) The boot code tce=hdXY dosen´t seem to work. Since the system only recognizes my flash drive, i tried to have the directory created in it. The system recognizes my drive as sdb1. Apparently, its not possible to do it. Same goes for home=hdXY. I tried using home=sdb1 and did not work.

Any help or constructive criticism is welcome.  

Thanks in advance
« Last Edit: April 06, 2010, 11:49:43 AM by cfatls »

Offline Juanito

• Administrator
Re: Hard Drive Recognition
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2010, 07:26:53 PM »
1)Tiny Core can´t seem to "recognize" or mount my hard drive.
It´s a hitachi HDT725050VLA SCI disk device. It's an NTFS partition.
It can only mount my imation 512 mb usb drive (Fat32).
Is it an scsi disk drive? If so what scsi adapter does it use? You may need to use something like the aic7xxx-2.6.29.1 extension to get access to scsi hd

2) Can´t get the full resolution  (1440*900) of my LG W1934S monitor to work. Do i need to download any app to make it work?
What graphics adapter does your machine have? You might need to use the Xorg extension to get this resolution

Offline cfatls

« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2010, 08:41:22 PM »
Yes, my drive is scsi.
I don´t know what type of adapter it uses.

As far as graphics go, do I just need to download the xorg extension and use it? I tried it but it doesn't show up on the menu. How do i use it? Please forgive me, i'm completely new to this.

Thanks for your reply.

Offline Juanito

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2010, 08:50:36 PM »
Hoping that your scsi and graphics cards are pci peripherals, could you install the pci-utils extension using the appbrowser and then open a terminal window, run the command "lspci" and post the result here.