WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: PTY permission problem  (Read 2036 times)

Offline MapHtH

PTY permission problem
« on: December 13, 2013, 04:15:23 AM »
Why are, as of newer versions, all /dev/pts permissions 600 and not 620?

I was trying to use screen but I can't unless I use it as a root? I can remember that before it was usable as any user?

Code: [Select]
devpts /dev/pts devpts rw,relatime,mode=600,ptmxmode=000 0 0
Did the defaults change?

Offline tinypoodle

"Software gets slower faster than hardware gets faster." Niklaus Wirth - A Plea for Lean Software (1995)

Offline MapHtH

Re: PTY permission problem
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2013, 02:31:21 PM »
As posted here:

I think I found a solution of a sorts.

I first found this, but it didn't quite work. But I set the config so that screen wouldn't try to modify /dev/pts. That got me exactly nowhere.

After few hours of testing, I came to a solution that works, but many people won't like because of security problems. Now, if you are the only one using the pc, there are no worries, the way I see it.

The trick is to chmod 4755 screen-4.0.3 and leave it as root:root before squashing it or doing anything with it. You can then use it without sudo or anything, albeit this does something close to sudo-ing.

I hope this helps.

The extension from the 5.x x86 (I'm trying to compile for arm) repo doesn't need this, but I can't seem to grasp why. I've sent an email to althalus to see what he has to say on the matter.

Offline tinypoodle

« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2013, 04:17:53 PM »
There seems to be a contradiction between initial post and
The extension from the 5.x x86 (I'm trying to compile for arm) repo doesn't need this, but I can't seem to grasp why.
This begs the question then in which constellation exactly would it not work as expected for you.
"Software gets slower faster than hardware gets faster." Niklaus Wirth - A Plea for Lean Software (1995)

Offline MapHtH

« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2013, 03:18:53 AM »
Ok, the x86 version on my main pc works oob, but whenever I compile it on my cubieboard the said problem happens and I haven't a clue on why.

But since I sorted it out, it doesn't matter.