Tiny Core Base > TCB Q&A Forum

partitioning windows for tc

(1/2) > >>

P5music:
hi
I would like to install tc on a system having windows already installed.
I ask you whether it is possible and how.
I guess cfdisk has to be used but I ask you describe some detailed steps not to erase windows out of the system.
thanks in advance

gutmensch:
1. Backup your windows using any tool that is capable of doing so (Acronis TrueImage, partimage on sysrescuecd, plain block copy with dd, etc.)
When using file backup you should also backup the MBR of the disk with a linux command like dd if=/dev/sda of=mymbr count=1 bs=512, as it helps to restore the boot record if anything goes wrong.
2. Resize your windows partition (There are different ways, either do it by software like Acronis DiskDirector or delete the partition table, create a new smaller partition and restore your windows backup - that only works, when it's a file based backup, doesn't work with dd)
3. Boot tc on your pc, create a new partition after the windows partition, type 0x83, format with ext3, follow the steps in the installation procedure
4. Install and modify grub boot loader, Windows can be added to menu.lst using the principle of "chainloading" and it looks like this:

title Windows 7 Professional
rootnoverify (hd0,2)
chainloader +1
makeactive

5. Now grub should always start, leaving you the option to start either tc or Windows.

__IMPORTANT__ Do NOT modify your system, when you're not 100% sure to have a backup, which can reverse any failure.

P5music:
I read that tc can install on a linux system that is already on the system.
Say I use wubi to install ubuntu into windows, then can I add tc?

gutmensch:
Well you read the right thing but it wasn't meant for a wubi installation. It was meant for a real linux installation with at least 1 partition for linux. Wubi instead doesn't use a partition but a file inside the windows disk space. This is a good approach when you just want to test something but it has also some limits when getting close to hardware. I cannot tell whether it's possible to modify Wubi to boot more than Ubuntu from inside the "disk file" created within the windows disk space...

P5music:
I remember, when I first installed wubi on another system, that if it just created a file space inside windows, well, it did like it was a real partition. Indeed I was disappointed because I believed I had been cheated.
I believe that maybe wubi is just a bit more invasive than it declares.
Am I totally wrong?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version