WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: How to startup full screen web browser automatically after bootup? (opera or ff)  (Read 10242 times)

Offline bigpcman

How can opera or ff (full screen) be automatically started after tinycore boots up. I'm assuming this must be done after xsession is running. I can load all the extensions, no problem there. Where does the application start command go? I would like to do this without having to remaster the iso.
big pc man

Offline curaga

• Administrator
In .xsession, before jwm, without "exec". For example:

opera -fullscreen

This file is saved in a backup, or could be added to an extension, since they are loaded before X starts.
The only barriers that can stop you are the ones you create yourself.

Offline bigpcman

In .xsession, before jwm, without "exec". For example:

opera -fullscreen

Thanks that works. Although the "-fullscreen" expands opera too much eliminating the toolbars. The command without the option works fine. Well, almost fine, the opera window covers the top screen toolbar so its not possible to minimize the window.

This file is saved in a backup, or could be added to an extension, since they are loaded before X starts.

You have made a very good point here I was unaware of, "could be added to an extension". This is a great idea! How is this done?
« Last Edit: January 27, 2009, 11:38:29 AM by bigpcman »
big pc man

Offline curaga

• Administrator
tar cvzf myconfig.tce /home/tc/.xsession
This would create an extension containing only that file.

Edit: for the timing problem, you could create a script that would sleep some seconds and then launch opera. This would launch it after Jwm, so it positions right like it should.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2009, 11:49:03 AM by curaga »

Offline bigpcman

Edit: for the timing problem, you could create a script that would sleep some seconds and then launch opera. This would launch it after Jwm, so it positions right like it should.
Thanks for this tip it will come in handy. It's too bad there is not a system environment variable that could be checked to see when the system is "completely" up after a boot up or xsession is "completely" up after a login. I've been thinking about how to do this for awhile. All I could come up with is to do a ps | grep to test for the jwm or perhaps wbar service running.
big pc man

Offline bigpcman

After thinking about this some more it seems that I might as well activate a background script right in bootlocal that uses a ps | grep test for the wbar service running to then activate opera. What do you think?
big pc man

Offline curaga

• Administrator
It might not work, since bootlocal runs as root and root by default has no access to an user's X display. Perhaps 'su tc -c "mycommand"' could work, running the script as user tc.