WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: Sound in TC on EeePC 901  (Read 3715 times)

Offline paulfxh

Sound in TC on EeePC 901
« on: January 27, 2009, 06:04:12 AM »
When I was using the PPR/TCE operating mode (TC 1.0), sound worked "more or less". However, after a reboot some persistence seemed to be always needed in turning OSS sound ON/OFF several times before sound became available (e.g in YouTube -- note that the video worked fine so it's not a flash problem).
However, when sound was available it emerged not only through the headphones but also through the small speakers on the EeePC 901. In other OSes, I can use AlsaMixer to switch off the computer speakers were this to happen, however, there doesn't seem to be any equivalent to AlsaMixer in TC (although I did install both Alsa TCEs.)
Last night I switched the operating mode to PPI/TCE and now I can't get OSS sound to work at all. When I try to turn it on
a terminal opens saying "Turning sound on and loading volumes" but it never finishes. Similarly, when I try to turn sound off, a terminal says "Turning sound off and saving volumes" but it too never completes.
Any clues?

Edit: I've just noticed that now (but definitely NOT before) when I try to turn sound On or Off, a message shows up in the terminal (which still never closes) saying:
Code: [Select]
Sudo: Soundon: No command found
Sudo: Soundoff: No command found
« Last Edit: January 27, 2009, 06:18:27 AM by paulfxh »

Offline paulfxh

Re: Sound in TC on EeePC 901
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2009, 06:16:49 PM »
Just to report that I got sound back.
Right now, I'm using the PPI/TCE operating mode and it seems the problem came from here. So, I re-created the tce folder that I had in /mnt/hdd7/ (didn't need this in PPI/TCE) and placed OSS.tcem in /mnt/hdd7/tce.
After a reboot, although I had libflashsupport.so in /usr/local/lib/opera/plugins/, it wasn't in /usr/lib/ so I had to copy it in.
After that sound worked fine.
Still comes out both the headphones and the front speakers at the same time though  which I'd prefer to avoid but cannot see how this can be done.

Offline curaga

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2009, 05:02:06 AM »
The included command line mixer is ossmix. A graphical one will be included in 4.1 when it's done.
The only barriers that can stop you are the ones you create yourself.

Offline paulfxh

« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2009, 02:39:25 PM »
OK, thanks. I used this to shut off my front speakers.