WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: Embedding Flit  (Read 3222 times)

Offline aplannan

Embedding Flit
« on: March 06, 2010, 07:20:11 PM »
Hi,

Just wondering, is there any way to embed Flit so that it does not show up in flwm's menu?

Offline MikeLockmoore

• Good software needn't be big!
Re: Embedding Flit
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2010, 10:11:27 AM »
Hi aplannan.  If I understand your question, the short answer is: technically possible but probably not desireable by the TC core team.

I think you are asking if flwm and Flit could be merged.  If one were to do so, then Flit would not appear as a separate application in the right-click pop-up menu.  I could understand that some people might prefer things to be like this, but perhaps other people would prefer using it as it is now.

I wrote Flit and I have hacked on flwm, so I am fairly sure things could be merged at the C programming level if one want to do so badly enough, but that's a fairly drastic step.  I don't think there is anything that can be done on a user-configuration level to prevent Flit from showing up in the flwm menu, but maybe a more knowlegeable flwm expert than I will prove me wrong.  :)

The TC Core Team seem to prefer a very simple base system and then offer flexible ways to extend it. The current flwm and optional Flit match this approach, so that's probably how it will be for now.

Edit: Wo00t!  200 posts!  8)
--
Mike L.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2010, 10:15:37 AM by MikeLockmoore »

Offline OldAdamUser2

« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2010, 12:54:57 PM »
Thanks for writing flit, Mike. I think it's very handy. In fact, I have modified .xsessions to that it appears automatically on-screen in the lower-left corner.

Offline aplannan

« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2010, 01:41:55 PM »
Thanks Mike for your reply. I guess I was hoping that there was a way to have flwm ignore flit. I agree it should not be combined with flwm, what I envisioned was more along the lines of how I've seen conky run in the desktop behind the window manager. I thought there might be an xsession or Xlib argumnet that could do this with filt, but then I am a newbie. Thank you for Flit, it is a very nice little app.

Andy

Offline OldAdamUser2

« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2010, 08:13:37 PM »
Thanks Mike for your reply. I guess I was hoping that there was a way to have flwm ignore flit. I agree it should not be combined with flwm, what I envisioned was more along the lines of how I've seen conky run in the desktop behind the window manager. I thought there might be an xsession or Xlib argumnet that could do this with filt, but then I am a newbie. Thank you for Flit, it is a very nice little app.

Andy

Try editing .xsession to delete ref to flit and add the following:

exec /usr/local/bin/conky &

Offline curaga

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2010, 01:52:13 AM »
There just might be. I think flwm should honor the X calls to ignore the wm, even if it doesn't use the netwm hints.

I'm not 100% sure, but you could have a test: try flnotify.tcz. It shouldn't show in the wm list, should be on top, and sticky. Though, even if it works, the method I used causes all three effects, I'm not sure if flit is wanted always on top.
The only barriers that can stop you are the ones you create yourself.

Offline aplannan

« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2010, 11:10:45 AM »
Hi curaga,

I installed flnotify.tcz. I am a little embarrassed to admit that I have no idea what flnotify does. I did get it to open up a window by typing flnotify -t into a terminal, and yes flwm does ignore it. I think this is exactly how I would like flit to behave. Is this possible? Thanks for your help.

Andy

Offline curaga

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2010, 11:24:22 AM »
flnotify "Just saying hi"

flnotify -bg black -fg lightgreen -c "Your battery is about to be empty"

Yeah, it's a rather small change. I'll let Mike handle that though. Check out the goOnTop function in flnotify sources.
You probably won't need the pixmap things there, only the override.

I guess it could be turned on with an option as well, if people don't want it always on top.

Offline aplannan

« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2010, 12:50:20 PM »
Ok, is the source for flnotify available, and if so where? Thanks again

Offline curaga

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2010, 12:51:31 AM »
It's at 2.x/tcz/src/flnotify-0.8.1.tgz at any mirror.

Though, now that I tested it myself, under flwm it seems to grab the mouse and show in the window list. I mainly use jwm.

Offline aplannan

« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2010, 06:06:04 AM »
Hi curaga
My mistake. It is showing up in the menu. Sorry about that.
Thanks for the link and the input. I guess I'll just keep poking around. I'll post if I ever figure it out. It really is a minor thing.

Andy

Offline ^thehatsrule^

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2010, 02:57:56 PM »
Try editing .xsession to delete ref to flit and add the following:

exec /usr/local/bin/conky &
That exec should probably not be there, could just use
Code: [Select]
conky &