WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: fltk-fluid  (Read 8574 times)

Offline Jason W

• Administrator
fltk-fluid
« on: April 07, 2009, 01:20:33 PM »
Thanks to Roberto A. Foglietta we have fltk-fluid:

Code: [Select]
Title:          fltk-fluid.tce
Description:    FLTK fluid
Version:        1.1.9
Author:         Various
Original-site:  www.fltk.org
Copying-policy: GPL
Size: 396K
Extension_by:   Roberto A. Foglietta
Comments:       The Fast Light User Interface Designer, or FLUID,
is a graphical editor that is used to produce FLTK
source code. FLUID edits and saves its state in .fl
files. These files are text, and you can (with care)
edit them in a text editor, perhaps to get some
special effects.
Change-log:     2009/04/07 First version
Current:        2009/04/07 First version

Offline Juanito

• Administrator
Re: fltk-fluid
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2009, 08:35:34 PM »
Is the idea that this should replace the fltk stuff in compiletc?

Offline roberts

• Administrator
  • Founder Emeritus
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2009, 09:21:47 PM »
Fluid is just a layout tool for fltk. It creates text files ending with .fl to represent the graphical layout of widgets.

Fluiid outputs c++ and .h files. A Makefile, or for smaller programs,  the g++ compiler can be called from within the fluid layout engine and capturing the compiler errors,

The compiletc extension should remain the same. The inclusion of fltk-config and static fltk library is fine. For quickly making fltk executeables fltk-config is fine. The compile tool is just fine and does not need to include a GUI layout manager such as fluid, nor should anything be removed.
10+ Years Contributing to Linux Open Source Projects.

Offline MikeLockmoore

• Good software needn't be big!
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2009, 02:02:34 PM »
I've added compiletc.tce to my installation, but I don't seem to have the fltk stuff.  Where should it be?  Do I have to do something else to enable it?  I seem to have many of the other tools from complile.tce like flex and bison.

I'd like to try to build a few FLTK tutorial files, then I have a small GTK2 hexidecimal file viewer I wrote I might try to port to FLTK.   Thanks for any suggestions!
--
Mike L.

Offline Juanito

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2009, 10:08:11 PM »
The latest version of compiletc has the fltk headers, static libs and fltk-config - it deliberately does not have fluid.

A user had posted links to an fltk extension recently that might still be valid, otherwise you may need to compile your own fltk extension.

Offline roberts

• Administrator
  • Founder Emeritus
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2009, 10:51:17 PM »
I just tried the latest compiletc and everything works! The fltk 'stuff' is in /usr/lib/libfltk*
calling g++ directly, using a Makefile, or using fltk-config all worked fine.

Using the above fltk-fluid also works and will write the .cxx and c.h files to use with the above.
By default these two tools are not integrated, but you can setup fluid to call g++, a script, etc.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2009, 11:21:24 PM by roberts »

Offline MikeLockmoore

« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2009, 08:49:01 AM »
Hmm.  I do have files matching /usr/lib/libfltk*, but I don't seem to have a fltk-config executable or script anyplace.  I thought I might need to reload my compiletc.tce, but when I tried to load the tci-unload.tce (or was that tce-uninstall.tce?), it stalled out, and when I tried to move the wget window a bit, I saw some error message related to ssl.  (Sorry I didn't grab the actual message, but I tried a reboot).  Now, I can't even get a successful connect to the TCE repository.  ("Error trying to connect.  Try later.")  :-\

When I listed (tar -tf) out the contents of my compiletc.tce in my PPI repository under /mnt, among lots of stuff, I do see libfl.a.  My compiletc.tce does have a lot of /usr/inc/FL/ header files.  But I don't see the libfltk.so.1.1 file or some others like that that are in my /usr/lib directly.  Also, I don't see any files containing fltk, so are fltk-config and some of those other libfl* files created by an installation script, which maybe did not succeed for me when I installed compiletc.tce?  I guess I'm missing some piece of info to understand and fix my problem.  Thanks for any further help.

Offline roberts

• Administrator
  • Founder Emeritus
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2009, 09:41:28 AM »
fltk-config is in /usr/bin

compiletc.tce is not PPI compatible (loads/installs entirely under /usr/local) , so I am confused by your statment that compiletc.tce is in PPI?

Perhaps it would be helpful to post the contents of the command showbootcodes so that we may know which mode of TC you are using.

Offline MikeLockmoore

« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2009, 05:29:14 PM »
Robert, thanks for taking time to consider my problems.  The command showbootcodes returns:

tce=hdc4

hdc4 is a fourth partition of my laptop harddisk.  I'm not sure why TC has defined it as hdc instead of hda, but TC boots and runs OK from it this way.  hdc4 is an ex2 partition that hosts another distro of Linux and my backup/restore data, so its a "frugal" installation, yes?  hdc3 is a swap partition that TC seems willing to use, but my mem stats don't show any swap actually used .  Anyway, I think this tce=hdc4 boot parameter makes it PPI mode, right?

Here is my output from mount:
rootfs on / type rootfs (rw)
/proc on /proc type proc (rw)
sysfs on /sys type sysfs (rw)
devpts on /dev/pts type devpts (rw,mode=600)
tmpfs on /dev/shm type tmpfs (rw)
/dev/hdc4 on /mnt/hdc4 type ext2 (rw,nosuid,nodev,relatime,errors=continue)

My /tmp/stats.txt file contains:
atk
cairo
compiletc
expat2
file
filesystems-2.6.26
flash9
fontconfig
gcc-3.3.6
geany
getFlash9
glib2
graphics-libs-1
gtk2
libglade
libxml2
linux-headers-2.6.26
ndiswrapper_full
opera
OSS
pango
perl5
pixman
rox-filer
shared-mime-info
wget
wireless-2.6.26
wireless_tools
Xlibs_support

If compiletc.tce is not compatible with my boot mode, then perhaps it only partially installed.  I did not know that it may not work like this.  I appologize if I overlooked this in the appbrowser info, or otherwise misunderstood the operational modes of TC.  I guess the compiletc.tce install seemed to work OK because I was able to compile the acx wireless open source driver and do a few other things successfully with the standard gcc and make.

By the way, I am still getting errors trying to Connect | TCE in the appbrowser and not sure how to go about fixing that.  EDIT:  I launched appbrowser from the command-line, and I see this message:
wget: error while loading shared libraries: libssl.so.0.9.8: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directoryWhat's the best way to fix this?

I'm a professional developer with a lot of Win32 and system-level (embedded) Linux experience, and some GTK experience.  I think I could pick up FLTK development pretty easily and contribute a few things along the way, but I seem to be tripped up on a few of these basic setup and installation issues right now.  But if you (Robert, or others) invest a few minutes with me, I hope you see it pay back many-fold soon!   ;)
--
Mike L.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2009, 05:38:50 PM by MikeLockmoore »

Offline Jason W

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2009, 06:02:57 PM »
Hi Mike,
I see that wget is installed without openssl-0.9.8h.  You could rename /usr/local/bin/wget to something else and you should be able to use the appbrowser again.  Install openssl and then rename /usr/local/bin/wget back to it's original and that issue should be solved.

Offline roberts

• Administrator
  • Founder Emeritus
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2009, 08:14:00 AM »
Mike,

It would appear that you have a PPR setup and that it is working fine.
The fltk-config was a recent addition to compiletc.tce (2009/04/07).
Are you sure you are using the latest compiletc?

Offline MikeLockmoore

« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2009, 11:58:56 AM »
Jason:  Thanks.  Renaming wget worked... I was able to get into the .tce repository again.  Although I lost access again, so I had to repeat that trick.  After I downloaded openssl.tce, it seems to be working consistently. 

Robert:  I had some issues with tce-uninstall, so I renamed the compiletc.tce and compiletc.tce.md5.txt files under /mnt and rebooted.  After that, I could re-install the current copy of compiletc.tce.  I now have the fltk-config utility!  And I worked... I could build a simple tutorial app!   :D  Sorry I mixed up the PPR and PPI terminology.

I wonder if some of my issues were that I installed the 1.3 RC 1 version, and some things now need RC 2?  I was holding off RC2 to see if another RC version or the official 1.3 would come out soon.

I think I will try to port my little hex fileviewer app over the next few weeks (on a hobby basis, right now).  The Win32 and GTK2 versions are both about 45 KB, but they access core dynamic libraries in the respective OSes. I'm sure with static linking in FLTK, it would be closer to 200 KB, but I think many people would still like it.  I might be able to help port or create other little utilities too over time.

Thanks again, gentlemen!
--
Mike L.

Offline ^thehatsrule^

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2009, 12:35:31 PM »
fltk runtime libraries are in TC's base, so static linking isn't required.

Offline MikeLockmoore

« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2009, 04:10:54 PM »
@^thehatsrule^: That's good to know.  I just tried to recompile a little test tutorial app, and the dynamically-linked executable is 4K compared to 140K for the static case (both stripped)! 

Offline Jason W

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2009, 10:04:19 AM »
Also available as tcz:

Title:          fltk-fluid.tcz
Description:    FLTK fluid
Version:        1.1.9
Author:         Various
Original-site:  www.fltk.org
Copying-policy: GPL
Size: 452K
Extension_by:   Roberto A. Foglietta
Comments:       The Fast Light User Interface Designer, or FLUID,
is a graphical editor that is used to produce FLTK
source code. FLUID edits and saves its state in .fl
files. These files are text, and you can (with care)
edit them in a text editor, perhaps to get some
special effects.
Change-log:     2009/04/07 First version
Current:        2009/04/07 First version