WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: tinycore_v2.9rc5  (Read 5457 times)

Offline roberts

• Administrator
  • Founder Emeritus
tinycore_v2.9rc5
« on: February 25, 2010, 04:10:47 PM »
The Fifth Release Candidate of v2.9 (tinycore_2.9rc5.iso), is now posted and ready for testing
http://distro.ibiblio.org/pub/linux/distributions/tinycorelinux/2.x/release_candidates

tinycore_2.9rc5.iso
tinycore_2.9rc5.iso.md5.txt

Change log for Tiny Core v2.9

Release Candidate 1

* Updated appbrowser - added "Provides" to search for "What provides", also speed improvements.
* Updated appsaudit - added "Display All Not Depends On".
* Updated tce-load - added support for recursive dependencies.
* Updated tc-config - persistent home and/or opt, changed ext only support to not Microsoft file system support.
* Updated ab to use tmp work files.
* Improved language support by auto loading locale support extension(s) when both "lang=  " and the "-locale.tcz" extension(s) are available in tce/optional.
* Renamed *.core.gz to simply *.gz for ISO9660 compliance.
* Clean up of reported relics and empty directories.
* Updated f2 & f3 boot message screens.
* Fixed bug in tce-update easy mode.
* Dropped the embedded help file.

Notes:

Attention extension makers, please test the new recursive dependency process, but hold in abeyance until v2.9 is final.

Since the embedded help file has been dropped, your system menu, likely in your backup will need to be adjusted. Edit/remove such entry.

Release Candidate 2

* Upgraded busybox to stable 1.15.3
* Upgraded udev to 151.
* New "Set TCE Drive" in control panel to setup TCE directory, optional and mydata.tgz from cloud mode.
* Upgraded tce-load and appsaudit to support copy2fs flag and list in the base tce directory.
* Updated OnDemand to also support re-launching applicatons. Now one can always use the OnDemand menu section.
* Updated support for easy mode remastering /opt/tce now uses onboot.lst
* Updated tc-config to also make, if necessary, optional directory when tce= boot code is used.
* Added cache, .logo.xpm, and stats.txt to default /opt/.xfiletool.lst
* Updated  /opt/.xfiletool.lst to persist OnDemand menu item across reboots via normal backup.

Notes: Files likely in your backup that need updating:
The following have been added to the default /opt/.xfiletool.lst:

cache
home/tc/.wmx/Applications
home/tc/.logo.xpm
home/tc/stats.txt

Release Candidate 3
* Fixed new udev firmware issue.
* Fixed easy mode remaster to support copy2fs flag and list in static /opt/tce.
* Updated Control Panel, label change TCE Update to Update Apps.
* Purged system menu Tools section with item already present in Control Panel.

Items likely in your backup or persistent store that need to be updated
/home/tc/.wmx/Tools/

Release Candidate 4
* Updated libstdc++ to support exceptions
* Updated glibc to support i486
* Added udev rules to support lsusb
* Dropped back to busybox 1.14.3

Release Candidate 5
* Drop back to glibc 2.9 but still with i486 support.
* Improved error/message handling in Appbrowser/tce-load.
10+ Years Contributing to Linux Open Source Projects.

Offline maro

Re: tinycore_v2.9rc5
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2010, 04:35:28 PM »
Just a quick message for the users of QEMU: Even after the version change of libc (back to v2.9) the default X server (Xvesa) seems to be working well when using QEMU parameter '-kernel-kqemu' (for "maximum speed" on QEMU versions prior to 0.12).

My thanks to the team for making sure not to introduce regression on this point.

Robert: Just out of interest, what was the reason not to continue with libc v2.11.1?

Offline meo

« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2010, 11:15:45 PM »
Hi all!

Just taking tinycore 2.9rc5 for a test spin and it seems just OK. Thanks to those involved!

Have fun making tinycore reach further and further,
meo
"All that is very well," answered Candide, "but let us cultivate our garden." - Francois-Marie Arouet Voltaire

Offline roberts

• Administrator
  • Founder Emeritus
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2010, 11:27:02 PM »
Just a quick message for the users of QEMU: Even after the version change of libc (back to v2.9) the default X server (Xvesa) seems to be working well when using QEMU parameter '-kernel-kqemu' (for "maximum speed" on QEMU versions prior to 0.12).

My thanks to the team for making sure not to introduce regression on this point.

Robert: Just out of interest, what was the reason not to continue with libc v2.11.1?

Juanito has been hard at work to make libc support i486. He did both v2.11.1 and v2.9. With v2.11.1 the localization support no longer worked, english only, see rc4 topic. With the new updated v2.9 we get both i486 support plus locaization support.

Offline bmarkus

• Administrator
    • My Community Forum
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2010, 02:32:38 AM »
what is the status of the recursive depenedency resolution? Still it doesn't work :(
Béla
Ham Radio callsign: HA5DI

"Amateur Radio: The First Technology-Based Social Network."

Offline roberts

• Administrator
  • Founder Emeritus
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2010, 07:39:28 AM »
Since both current and recursion testing are supported, recursion is an optional enhancement not a requirement. And since once again, this release offers so many other improvements, recursion testing will be pushed into the next release. Once recursion moves beyond testing it will still be a migration and not a wholesale conversion. Lets get 2.9 released.

Offline bmarkus

• Administrator
    • My Community Forum
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2010, 07:42:48 AM »
Since both current and recursion testing are supported, recursion is an optional enhancement not a requirement. And since once again, this release offers so many other improvements, recursion testing will be pushed into the next release. Once recursion moves beyond testing it will still be a migration and not a wholesale conversion. Lets get 2.9 released.

Thanks, its fine.
Béla

Offline bmarkus

• Administrator
    • My Community Forum
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2010, 09:38:49 AM »
Playing a while with rc5 it looks OK. I just installed Google Earth on top of LXDE/Xorg. Localisation (lang=hu_HU) is not tested yet, but otherwise it is fine :)
Béla