WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: TC Is Now My Primary Work Environment!  (Read 3290 times)

Offline baz

TC Is Now My Primary Work Environment!
« on: February 24, 2010, 09:07:07 AM »
I don't know whether this is considered crazy or not, but I just replaced Ubuntu with TC as my primary work/development OS!

I'm not a light user either - I'm a web application developer for a huge US corporation. I work with databases, Flex, AJAX, Java, Google App Engine, Coldfusion, Web Services, and more. I always have several servers running locally for testing, a big build of Eclipse as my IDE, and multiple instances of VirtualBox going.

My machine is reasonably powerful, with 4gb of ram, and tons of disk space. I have 2x24" monitors in TwinView. I'm running XFCE as my desktop manager - I'd slightly prefer LXDE but XFCE is the only DM that respects TwinView (I think, I know LXDE doesn't).

Besides some superficial quirks, everything's running like a dream with less bugginess and significantly more speed than my Ubuntu.

Just thought I'd share :)

Offline MikeLockmoore

• Good software needn't be big!
Re: TC Is Now My Primary Work Environment!
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2010, 09:55:50 AM »
Awesome!  Keep us informed!  Are you doing anything special for your personal file respository?  The default backup and restore feature of TC base could take a long time if you have lots of project files.
--
Mike L.

Offline baz

« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2010, 10:17:21 AM »
Oh yes, this would not be possible without a persistent setup. My bootcodes are:

quiet opt=sda1 tce=sda1 home=sda2 user=baz host=tineee max_loop=255 noicons showapps settime noautologin pause

Increasing the max_loop was very important.

So the only thing in my .filetool.lst ends up being:

etc/shadow
etc/X11/xorg.conf

One second backup time.

Offline vr

« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2010, 02:50:20 PM »
Very interesting thread! Sorry for the bumping the old but a couple questions for the OP:

Are you using VirtualBox OSE or the non-open version?

I don't see Eclipse in the app repository... did  you have many obstacles getting it going on TC?

Offline jur

• cycling photo essays
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2010, 03:19:52 PM »
I'm not sure what Twinview is... is it where you have 2  monitors each having half of the total desktop?

xorg.conf ought to be able to do this, as I am guessing this is how Xfce does it anyway.

Offline baz

« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2010, 05:52:50 PM »
Hey vr! I am using the only virtualbox in the repo, not sure what it is. Eclipse runs perfectly. Its available directly from their site. You will need to install Java (openjdk-7-jre.tcz in the repo) and you're good to go.

Hey jur! Twinview is when you have 2 separate desktops on 2 separate monitors, but that can interact perfectly with each other. The alternatives from X are to stretch a single desktop across 2 monitors, or to have completely separate X sessions on each monitor that can't do things like copy/paste between each other.

Offline tclfan

« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2010, 07:24:28 PM »
Hi Baz,

This is a great example what you can do with TinyCore and TinyCore does need such showcases to demonstrate what can be done...
It is not just for old machines as often portrayed!
Just curious: How much memory is using with such setup and where are your databases - in memory or disk?

Offline SAFAD

« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2010, 07:38:30 AM »
i bet you made a remaster
cuz reinstalling all these app after a format is ***
anyway good luck
ill join this club soon

Offline gaixixon

« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2010, 11:57:37 PM »
Yezzzzzzzzzzz... I'm the 2nd who follow up.. but I have some problem.. can anyone suggest me what to do?
1/ I need to be able to save all the app I download & install; same as the data
2/ I need to change the X windows manager to say.. xfce or icejwm ( i try to install icejwm and run icejwm but it refuse and say another windows manager is running already).

Infor of my menu.lst:
title Tiny Core
kernel /tinycore/bzImage
initrd /tinycore/tinycore.gz (this can be mis-spell because I don't remember the image file)