Tiny Core Base > TCB Bugs

su: can't chdir to home directory /home/tc

(1/3) > >>

baz:
I enabled the boot code "showapps" and I am also using a custom user "baz". My boot screen is now littered with the message "su: can't chdir to home directory /home/tc" for every app that loads. It doesn't seem to be causing any real problems but thought I should mention it in case it may affect something down the road.

bmarkus:
I think using other user than 'tc' is risky. There are applications expecting 'tc' and not tested for other users. I advice use tc and when your setup works as expected change it to 'baz'. It will help you to identify misbehaving applications.

baz:
You are very right, I've had a lot of issues, but I am willing to be the guinea pig to get it up to speed if the team is into it. Is that something TC cares about, or should I just forget about it for the moment?

It would be nice to have a proper multi-user environment, with passwords required and all that, like other distros.

bmarkus:
Please note, that TC is a very young system introducing new ideas. Actually core team is focusing other tasks; as far as I see real multi user environment will come in a later phase of the project.

danielibarnes:
@Developers: please read below for what may be bugs.

@baz

--- Quote ---My boot screen is now littered with the message "su: can't chdir to home directory /home/tc" for every app that loads.
--- End quote ---
You don't mention which version you are using. I recall this being a problem with an early version. I booted Tiny Core 2.8.1 with the options: pause showapps user=baz. All of my extensions loaded without error. This means your issues can be fixed once we determine what the problem is.

@ bmarkus

--- Quote ---as far as I see real multi user environment will come in a later phase of the project.
--- End quote ---

How do you define "multi user environment" and in what way does Tiny Core not fulfill that definition? In my mind, being able to create users and groups makes a multi-user environment, but I can see there being more to it than that for other people. As a quick test to answer my own question to you, I created a user: user1 (no password because I scripted it):

# adduser -D user1
# echo user1:user1|chpasswd

I found a few of what could be bugs:

1) The /etc/skel files are not copied to the user's home directory, even if -h is used.
2) The /etc/skel/.webdata.lst file includes the text "home/tc." I'm not sure how this file is used.
3) .logo.xpm is not included in /etc/skel

I fixed the home directory:
# rmdir /home/user1
# cp -r /etc/skel /home/user1
# cp /home/tc/.logo.xpm /home/user1

Modified the .webdata.lst file:
# sed 's/tc/user1/' -i /home/user1/.webdata.lst

Changed the ownership:
# chown -R user1:user1 /home/user1

Created a backup file (only as a test -- a true multiuser system would have a /home partition):
# tar czf /mnt/hda2/mutce/mydata.tgz /etc/passwd /etc/shadow /etc/group /home/user1

Reboot and start tinycore with tce=hda2/mutce noautologin boot options. Login as user1 and run startx. This is where I think your concerns are. There are several "sudo" statements in /usr/bin/startx. This will cause X to fail for non-tc users. If those are commented out so X can start, the "Logout --> Exit to prompt" function in the menu still fails, possibly because /usr/bin/exittc includes
sudo pkill `cat /etc/sysconfig/Xserver`.

I think the next question is, can this be fixed or does it require re-architecting Tiny Core in some way? The sudo statements are embedded everywhere. There are some things, like Appbrowser, which don't make sense to provide to non-tc users. But for things like "exit to prompt", can sudo be removed? I think that is the beginning of the answer.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version