WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: hd install successfull and not  (Read 1718 times)

Offline littlemathteacher

hd install successfull and not
« on: February 19, 2010, 10:43:25 PM »
I'm a newbie. And I like the whole tinycore concept a lot! It seems to be what I was looking for and what's going to speed up my old notebooks.

But I want to be able to start it on them without first having to look for the CD. So I tried hard disc installs. But I want to do it in a way so that i don't have to use a partiton for TC, just some folders. Is this possible? Let me report:

On the oldest machine there is an apic error which I didn't fix yet.
But amazingly TC is booting and running from harddisc on each of the three other ones.

The best one is a boot by GRUB where /tce and and /tinycore/boot are just lying around on a partition which is used as archive by ubuntu. But never mind. I'm not going to archive folders like "root" and things like thhat. TC seems to have created the folders /root and /usr by itself. All added extensions are present at startup. The best thing: this is the first system in which my alc soundcard is working as it should (thanks to oss). Great!!!

So, now for the other ones, that is the two that don't work so well:

The second one is s Lilo boot. Here TC may use a whole partition for itself. But something is wrong. /boot and /tce are located solely on the first level. TC is running but the funny application panel which looks like taken from the Mac (bottom of the desktop) is missing. DHCP has to be started in the Panel, but then it connects and ping reports transfer. The appbrowser connects and shows the repository, but when I click "Install" a window pops up and says "Error". What's wrong with this install?

The third one is quite risky I think. Here I put a folder /tinycore into the root partition of ubuntu and put /tce and /boot into it. I told Grub that /hda1/tinycore is the root directory. Maybe this is not possible. Maybe you have to use a whole partiton. But it's working better than the installation before! TC boots and runs and the panel is there and extensions are installed, but then all is lost at shutdown. Ah, something else: the getflash10 installer reports an error when trying to get access to the /optional folder. But the folder exists and is read-write open to users. I even tried to chown  tce and optional to tc:staff, but I am not sure if this worked out, because in ubuntu another owner is still shown. In Ubuntu I could not use the ":" in a user's  name and so I wasn't able to change the owner there, only in TC itself. (I have to regret that in general I don't know so much about Linux.) What's wrong with this one?

Please help me by telling me what I did wrong. It would be nice to install TC on partitons not owned by it. Perhaps they just should't be root partitions.

Thanks a lot
« Last Edit: February 20, 2010, 05:05:43 PM by littlemathteacher »

Offline curaga

• Administrator
Re: hd install successfull and not
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2010, 02:17:04 AM »
Sure, as long as it's a linux filesystem, you can install TC alongside.

If you use another dir than /tce, for example /tinycore/tce, the automatic search won't find it. On that machine, add "tce=sda1/tinycore/tce" to your bootcodes, replace sda1 with the actual drive.

Username - ":" is not a part of it, it's just a separator between user and group names. It would show up differently owned in Ubuntu because they likely don't have the tc user or the staff group.

Your lilo comp - seems like some network issues. Anything network-related in dmesg? Or if you boot with "pause", so you can see the boot messages, anything of interest there?
The only barriers that can stop you are the ones you create yourself.

Offline littlemathteacher

Re: hd install successfull and not
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2010, 05:24:08 PM »
Thanks a lot.

Some things to correct. On the old one it's not an apic error, but something else: Not syncing ..trying to kill init.

It is still getting more amazing. In the well working installation the partition which is used by tc isn't just a storage space, but actually the partiton which is the root directory for an instance of Puppy linux. The two directories are the /usr and the /root of Puppy. ... Wow. That's amazing. Several systems sharing  one house. The TC  maintainers should point out this outstanding feature! You don't have to use a partition for TC! I admit that DSL and Puppy can do this also somehow, but it could't be simpler than here in tc! Just add two folders and modify the bootloader ...

I am grateful for your advise and hoping to find the time to try them.