WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: Comments in .filetool.lst and .xfiletool.lst  (Read 1858 times)

Offline SamK

Comments in .filetool.lst and .xfiletool.lst
« on: February 19, 2010, 12:36:45 AM »
When adding user created entries in either /opt/.filetool.lst or /opt/.xfiletool.lst is it possible to add comments to indicate the reason for them.  If so what is the comment character?

Offline maro

Re: Comments in .filetool.lst and .xfiletool.lst
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2010, 05:39:07 PM »
I had "a bit of a read" in the source code of BusyBox (v1.14.3, file: archival/tar.c). And I'm pretty sure that there is no such thing as a treatment for a comment line.

I believe it would not be difficult to enhance the code, but I doubt that Robert and the team would like to go down this road. Mind you the use of 'tar' in '/usr/bin/filetool.sh' is not limited to the BusyBox applet, so if you got tar.tgz installed this GNU version would be used instead.

Finally I did a quick test using the only sensible comment character (i.e. '#'), and both BusyBox tar as well as GNU tar are complaining (with different error messages each).

Offline SamK

« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2010, 12:32:56 AM »
I had "a bit of a read" in the source code of BusyBox (v1.14.3, file: archival/tar.c). And I'm pretty sure that there is no such thing as a treatment for a comment line.
It is regrettable that comments are not accepted, however your investigation is valuable and your feedback welcome.  Many thanks.

Offline vitex

« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2010, 05:52:31 AM »
You have the option to maintain the master copies of the configuration files with comments (e.g., lines starting with "#") and to remove those comments with a command such as
Code: [Select]
grep -v '^#'