WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: tinycore_v2.9rc4  (Read 17318 times)

Offline roberts

• Administrator
  • Founder Emeritus
tinycore_v2.9rc4
« on: February 17, 2010, 12:58:45 PM »
The Fourth Release Candidate of v2.9 (tinycore_2.9rc4.iso), is now posted and ready for testing
http://distro.ibiblio.org/pub/linux/distributions/tinycorelinux/2.x/release_candidates

tinycore_2.9rc4.iso
tinycore_2.9rc4.iso.md5.txt

Change log for Tiny Core v2.9

Release Candidate 1

* Updated appbrowser - added "Provides" to search for "What provides", also speed improvements.
* Updated appsaudit - added "Display All Not Depends On".
* Updated tce-load - added support for recursive dependencies.
* Updated tc-config - persistent home and/or opt, changed ext only support to not Microsoft file system support.
* Updated ab to use tmp work files.
* Improved language support by auto loading locale support extension(s) when both "lang=  " and the "-locale.tcz" extension(s) are available in tce/optional.
* Renamed *.core.gz to simply *.gz for ISO9660 compliance.
* Clean up of reported relics and empty directories.
* Updated f2 & f3 boot message screens.
* Fixed bug in tce-update easy mode.
* Dropped the embedded help file.

Notes:

Attention extension makers, please test the new recursive dependency process, but hold in abeyance until v2.9 is final.

Since the embedded help file has been dropped, your system menu, likely in your backup will need to be adjusted. Edit/remove such entry.

Release Candidate 2

* Upgraded busybox to stable 1.15.3
* Upgraded udev to 151.
* New "Set TCE Drive" in control panel to setup TCE directory, optional and mydata.tgz from cloud mode.
* Upgraded tce-load and appsaudit to support copy2fs flag and list in the base tce directory.
* Updated OnDemand to also support re-launching applicatons. Now one can always use the OnDemand menu section.
* Updated support for easy mode remastering /opt/tce now uses onboot.lst
* Updated tc-config to also make, if necessary, optional directory when tce= boot code is used.
* Added cache, .logo.xpm, and stats.txt to default /opt/.xfiletool.lst
* Updated  /opt/.xfiletool.lst to persist OnDemand menu item across reboots via normal backup.

Notes: Files likely in your backup that need updating:
The following have been added to the default /opt/.xfiletool.lst:

cache
home/tc/.wmx/Applications
home/tc/.logo.xpm
home/tc/stats.txt

Release Candidate 3
* Fixed new udev firmware issue.
* Fixed easy mode remaster to support copy2fs flag and list in static /opt/tce.
* Updated Control Panel, label change TCE Update to Update Apps.
* Purged system menu Tools section with item already present in Control Panel.

Items likely in your backup or persistent store that need to be updated
/home/tc/.wmx/Tools/

Release Candidate 4
* Updated libstdc++ to support exceptions
* Updated glibc to support i486
* Added udev rules to support lsusb
* Dropped back to busybox 1.14.3
10+ Years Contributing to Linux Open Source Projects.

Offline maro

Re: tinycore_v2.9rc4
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2010, 02:02:37 PM »
Great news for all users of TC on QEMU: with the new version of libc the segfaults of the default X server (Xvesa) when using QEMU parameter '-kernel-kqemu' (for "maximum speed" on QEMU versions prior to 0.12) appear to be a thing of the past.

Many thanks to Robert and the team for the effort and for being brave enough to update a vital component. I for one was not expecting that step prior to TC 3.x.

Offline danielibarnes

« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2010, 02:24:21 PM »
I am preparing to release updates for the majority of my extensions. It seems that if I build them using 2.9 the new libc implies they may be incompatible with earlier releases. Should I build using 2.8.1 for maximum compatibility or is it the case that I need the new libc to fix problems (like exception support) that are currently lacking?

Offline maro

« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2010, 02:47:57 PM »
Just stumbled over a minor bug: /usr/bin/ldd uses #! /usr/local/bin/bash as shebang. I just replace the line with #!/bin/sh and that seem to work.

Offline gerald_clark

• TinyCore Moderator
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2010, 02:51:59 PM »
This is working on my laptops and my Vortex86.
Also no segfaults in rebuildfstab.
Looking Good !!!

Offline meo

« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2010, 06:19:51 PM »
Hi again Robert!

Just gave tinycore 2.9rc4 a test but it failed just as rc2 and rc3. I get the same error boot message about the sound as I mentioned in the tinycore 2.9rc3 thread and the sound (alsa) is muted when I load Xmms. Hope that others have better luck. I'll go back to tinycore 2.9rc1 since it's the only one that the sound works on.

Have fun keeping up your good work and don't feel gloomy because tinycore 2.9 will be a blast at last,
meo
"All that is very well," answered Candide, "but let us cultivate our garden." - Francois-Marie Arouet Voltaire

Offline jur

• cycling photo essays
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2010, 07:11:33 PM »
At boot time I get segmentation fault and bus error.

This seems to go away if I use boot code 'base'. 'Norestore' has no effect other than not restoring, still seg fault and bus error.

I removed all extensions from OnBoot and tried again but same result.

[edit]: I still see the previously reported message about 'usleep: text file busy' before it disappears off the screen due to the other errors.

These errors happen during the time after checking boot codes, just after time zone and so on has been applied. When 'base' is used, this stage seems to be bypassed.

Question: Why is so much time spent on the rotating cursor when no extensions are loaded and boot code 'norestore' is used?
« Last Edit: February 17, 2010, 07:30:42 PM by jur »

Online Juanito

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2010, 07:49:05 PM »
I am preparing to release updates for the majority of my extensions. It seems that if I build them using 2.9 the new libc implies they may be incompatible with earlier releases. Should I build using 2.8.1 for maximum compatibility or is it the case that I need the new libc to fix problems (like exception support) that are currently lacking?

I would hold off for a couple of days yet.

The exception support comes from a recompiled libstdc++ in the base. Since this was significantly bigger than the previous libstdc++, we "sstripped" it, which means it will need to be overwritten by a "non-sstripped" version in order to compile against it. If the testing works out OK, the "non-sstripped" version and updated static libs, etc, will be added to base-dev.

In addition, the libc update may yet require some adjustment.

Offline jur

• cycling photo essays
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2010, 07:49:58 PM »
The /dev/shm permissions problem is still there, and I have just noticed that if I boot 'base' the permissions are correct.

Offline roberts

• Administrator
  • Founder Emeritus
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2010, 08:05:11 PM »
Booting base norestore is using ram. Loading extensions uses disk. When was the last time you fsck'ed? When was the last time you checksumed your extensions?
10+ Years Contributing to Linux Open Source Projects.

Online Juanito

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2010, 08:20:58 PM »
Just stumbled over a minor bug: /usr/bin/ldd uses #! /usr/local/bin/bash as shebang. I just replace the line with #!/bin/sh and that seem to work.

Thanks - in prior versions we were using a modified ldd, it looks like the original glibc version slipped through the net.

Offline jur

• cycling photo essays
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2010, 09:01:49 PM »
Booting base norestore is using ram. Loading extensions uses disk. When was the last time you fsck'ed? When was the last time you checksumed your extensions?
I previously reported I am loading NO extensions. (And all my extensions MD5 checksums are fine anyway. And so is tc2.9rc4's.)

There is another error:
udevd[69]: can not read '/etc/dev/rules/50-udev-defaults.rules'

And tc-2.8.1 continues to work fine.

Offline andrewb

« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2010, 02:11:58 AM »
Brilliant - absolutely marvelous! - Now boots on Libretto 100CT!, so at least the 'Kernel Panic' (http://forum.tinycorelinux.net/index.php?topic=1685.0) bug has been sorted.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2010, 02:41:53 AM by andrewb »

Offline althalus

« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2010, 02:26:49 AM »
No obvious issues here (yet). TC2.9 is lookin really nice!

Offline bmarkus

• Administrator
    • My Community Forum
« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2010, 03:08:21 AM »
Localisation doesn't work.

- Installed glibc_gconv, glibc_apps and glibc_i18n_locale
- Installed applications locale extensions
- Created /usr/lib/locale
- Executed 'localedef -i hu_HU -f ISO-8859-2 hu_HU' as root
- Adde /usr/lib/locale/locale-archive to backup

Booting with lang=hu_HU applications still using default English, no any localised text, lxterm is not using ISO-8859-2. LXDE menu is in Hungarian as $LANG is hu_HU but that's all.

Same procedure with TC 2.8.1 provides a Hungarian environment.
Béla
Ham Radio callsign: HA5DI

"Amateur Radio: The First Technology-Based Social Network."