WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: Change keymap?  (Read 3633 times)

Offline banditman

Change keymap?
« on: February 17, 2010, 12:58:44 PM »
Have followed the instructions for installing kmap.tcz and doing the command loadkmap < /usr/share/kmap/uk.kmap but no change takes place still has default u.s keymap on my aspire one netbook

any help would be great :-\

Offline banditman

Re: Change keymap?
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2010, 01:50:21 PM »
Well Ive discovered that after doing ctrl + alt +backspace then restarting x with startx it seems to work or at least partly i get the hash key and @ keys in the right place but still no sign of the good old u.k pound not anywhere on the keyboard!!!
So still not right  ???

Offline curaga

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2010, 02:01:56 PM »
Did you drop to console before giving the command? It does not work completely inside X.
The only barriers that can stop you are the ones you create yourself.

Offline banditman

« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2010, 02:17:42 PM »
Yes I killed x and restarted it again with startx and the keys changed but not fully however when I did a reboot they were back to us keys again, perhaps this is something to do with adding a boot code?

Offline curaga

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2010, 12:52:29 AM »
If kmaps.tcz is in your tce directory, and loaded on boot, you can use the bootcode kmap=uk to have the kmap loaded on boot.
The only barriers that can stop you are the ones you create yourself.

Offline SamK

« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2010, 03:12:35 AM »
Have followed the instructions for installing kmap.tcz and doing the command loadkmap < /usr/share/kmap/uk.kmap but no change takes place still has default u.s keymap on my aspire one netbook

any help would be great :-\
I run the command you mention from /opt/bootlocal.sh
Code: [Select]
# Load the UK keyboard.  This requires kmaps.tcz to be installed and loaded at bootup.
loadkmap < /usr/share/kmap/uk.kmap
As I understand it, commands in this file are run on each boot-up, using root user credentials,  before the GUI is started.  I find it works reliably when run in this way.

Offline banditman

« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2010, 03:47:31 AM »
Thanks for that the only way I got it to work in the end was by installing xorg :-\ and that works ok except when using lxterminal it wont type a pound sign or for that matter it wont in this here forum!! but it does type correctly in xterm and when using beaver etc!! weird :o another thing I just cant seem to get working is the touchpad scrolling I have setup xorg.conf and on a reboot it works fine just once then after that nothing!!

Offline SamK

« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2010, 03:57:27 AM »
Thanks for that the only way I got it to work in the end was by installing xorg :-\ and that works ok except when using lxterminal it wont type a pound sign...
This is currently being discussed in this topic:
http://forum.tinycorelinux.net/index.php?topic=5018.msg26887