WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: Questions on LXDE, App updates and Java.  (Read 2003 times)

Offline Rochey

Questions on LXDE, App updates and Java.
« on: February 16, 2010, 03:04:38 PM »
Hi everyone,

I have just started to use TinyCore and I love how configurable it is. I am a network engineer and need networking tools but I have always found Back Track too bloated with unnecessary tools. The beauty of TinyCore is I can have a minimal install with all the tools that I require!!!!

Anyway too my question, I have installed LXDE, as I like to have a little bit of eye candy on my desktop, but I can't seem to figure out how to use my OnDemand apps. I have got Chromium, Wireshark and Zenmap as my OnDemand apps and I could launch them from FLWM but in LXDE I can't figure out an elegant way to launch them.
I can do it from terminal but thats it. I just wanted to know how the rest of you guys are doing it?

Also how often do the apps here get updated? I noticed that nmap/zenmap is 4.85 beta and they are currently at 5.20. Do we ask for them to get updated? Or do they just get updated as and when?

Finally Java, how do people use it?  I love to use Angry IPscanner and there is a java version for cross platform compatability. when I was trying it I had to run from terminal "/path/to/java -jar /path/to/IPScan.jar". I would rather have the double click way to use IPScan.jar.

Any tips or comments would be greatly received.

Thanks again to everyone for their efforts on Tiny Core, this is by far the best distro I have come across.

Rochey

Offline bmarkus

• Administrator
    • My Community Forum
Re: Questions on LXDE, App updates and Java.
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2010, 03:19:11 PM »

Anyway too my question, I have installed LXDE, as I like to have a little bit of eye candy on my desktop, but I can't seem to figure out how to use my OnDemand apps. I have got Chromium, Wireshark and Zenmap as my OnDemand apps and I could launch them from FLWM but in LXDE I can't figure out an elegant way to launch them.
I can do it from terminal but thats it. I just wanted to know how the rest of you guys are doing it?

Install tc2freedesktop.tcz and run it after extensions installed. Read info at http://distro.ibiblio.org/pub/linux/distributions/tinycorelinux/2.x/tcz/tc2freedesktop.tcz.info
Béla
Ham Radio callsign: HA5DI

"Amateur Radio: The First Technology-Based Social Network."