WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: survived the Haiti earthquake but my copy of tinycore did not  (Read 2739 times)

Offline julianb

survived the Haiti earthquake but my copy of tinycore did not
« on: January 26, 2010, 09:04:44 AM »
I was in Haiti at the time of the 1-12-2010 earthquake. Hurt my foot but it should be completely healed up by mid february.

My sister, Christa Brelsford, lost part of her leg below the knee in the quake: the concrete house we were both in fell down, broke her leg, and trapped her in rubble.

I had brought several netbook computers with tiny core linux on them (although for ease-of-use they were mainly running Xubuntu); as far as I know the netbooks did not survive the quake.

Several people worked their butts off during the emergency to see that Christa would make it safely to good medical treatment. In honor of them, our family has launched "Christa's Angels", a fund which will support the work of these Haitians who saved her life. http://christasangels.org ... these folks are community workers who develop leadership in rural poor communities and help people develop reading, financial literacy, and other life skills.

Offline Guy

Re: survived the Haiti earthquake but my copy of tinycore did not
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2010, 05:46:42 PM »
We hope you and your sister have a good recovery. Send her our best wishes.

What you are doing sounds great. The best way to help people in these communities is by personal interaction, and particularly education, so they learn the skills to have good lives in the future. I would like to get involved in something similar in the future.
Many people see what is. Some people see what can be, and make a difference.