WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: local repository  (Read 6025 times)

Offline dougtheslug

local repository
« on: January 13, 2009, 02:28:51 PM »
is it possible to have all the extensions on a dedicated local server so lets say a network of old computers can download them locally instead of having to go through the interweb to  the outside world ?. if so what kind of server would best work with this ( LTSP is  too memory hungry for my local pent 1 network ) I am thinking on using tiny core to achieve the same the same purpose as LTSP or edubuntu

Offline ^thehatsrule^

• Administrator
Re: local repository
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2009, 03:24:13 PM »
If you mean with appbrowser, you can try the following:

server setup:
- use a ftp or http server ("Protocol")
- save all extensions to one (virtual) directory  (this directory name is "Repository")
- build info.lst in the same directory: `ls -1 | grep "\.tc[ez][lm]*$" > info.lst`

client setup:
- change the tce mirror to your server, using cpanel > Select Mirror, using the information from above

EDIT: changed to redirect output
« Last Edit: January 27, 2009, 03:18:27 PM by ^thehatsrule^ »

Offline bigpcman

« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2009, 07:16:29 AM »
Is it possible to use app browser to load from a local repository on a flash drive (sda1)?
big pc man

Offline tobiaus

• Suspended
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2009, 07:39:53 AM »
Is it possible to use app browser to load from a local repository on a flash drive (sda1)?

yeah, any kind of drive. you can use appbrowser (load local) to pick any tce or tcz extension from any filesystem you've mounted, including mounted iso files. it's also possible to do it from the command line using sudo /usr/bin/tce-load. either way, you need to have the deps (the other needed extensions) mounted as well. to know what deps there are, there is a .dep file for each extension that lists them.

appbrowser and tce-load only automatically load deps when you are downloading. to simulate this you'd need thehatsrules' instructions.

for many uses (it only depends on how automatic you want it to be) you only need the extensions (saved on whatever) and appbrowser, you can use that anytime. but the easiest way to load them is just put them in your tce folder and reboot.

Offline curaga

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2009, 08:10:54 AM »
just one change to tobiaus' instructions - tce-load is meant to be used as an user, not root (and it will indeed bail out if run as root)

tce-load also now loads .dep files locally too if they exist. Hats was saying how to create a repo to be used over a network, for several computers.
The only barriers that can stop you are the ones you create yourself.

Offline bigpcman

« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2009, 08:14:36 AM »
For testing purposes here's what I tried. Renamed the tce directory to no_tce so the applications would not auto load. Downloaded the emelfm2.tce, md5 and info files using firefox from the online repository and stored it on a flash drive. Then I used app browser local install to install it. The app icon was installed on the bottom tray but would not activate the program when clicked. I noticed the original tce directory had a emelfm2.dep file in it created by the app browser. So this matches what you have said:

tobiaus: yeah, any kind of drive. you can use appbrowser (load local) to pick any tce or tcz extension from any filesystem you've mounted, including mounted iso files. it's also possible to do it from the command line using sudo /usr/bin/tce-load. either way, you need to have the deps (the other needed extensions) mounted as well. to know what deps there are, there is a .dep file for each extension that lists them.

appbrowser and tce-load only automatically load deps when you are downloading. to simulate this you'd need thehatsrules' instructions.

for many uses (it only depends on how automatic you want it to be) you only need the extensions (saved on whatever) and appbrowser, you can use that anytime. but the easiest way to load them is just put them in your tce folder and reboot.

What did you mean by: "to simulate this you'd need thehatsrules' instructions"? What instructions? I didn't see any specifically for .dep files.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2009, 08:18:11 AM by bigpcman »
big pc man

Offline roberts

• Administrator
  • Founder Emeritus
al
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2009, 08:53:50 AM »
Don't forget, you also have the optional directory, which should be directly under your tce directory.
Those extensions will not auto load, but are readily available from appbrowser "install optional".
By keeping less often used exensions in optional means faster boot times.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2009, 09:49:34 AM by roberts »
10+ Years Contributing to Linux Open Source Projects.

Offline tobiaus

• Suspended
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2009, 09:38:28 AM »
What did you mean by: "to simulate this you'd need thehatsrules' instructions"? What instructions? I didn't see any specifically for .dep files.

not for the .dep files. it's not important, though, i don't think you need it for the kind of "repository" you want. he was taking you more literally. i did too, but i removed the part of my post that repeated what he said (and he said it better anyway.)