WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: Xorg Update plans (for the future?)  (Read 3490 times)

Offline gutmensch

• Administrator
  • I can make it disappear, have no fear!
    • remembrance blog
Xorg Update plans (for the future?)
« on: January 27, 2010, 01:57:03 AM »
Heya admins and maintainers,

are there already plans how to handle the X libraries (for example in the next release)? Right now, the tinycore.gz base provides most of the X libraries, which makes it impossible to run some updates on them, moreover it's not the real "tc" extension philosophy ;-) (and the Xorg-extension is kind of incomplete)

One solution would be to keep the necessary (old) libs in /usr/lib for Xvesa and install Xorg with all "new" X libraries in /usr/local and to make sure every app in the base is called using the /usr/lib path whether there are new ones in /usr/local/lib or not?

best regards,
robert
If I seem unduly clear to you, you must have misunderstood what I said. (Alan Greenspan)

Offline curaga

• Administrator
Re: Xorg Update plans (for the future?)
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2010, 02:40:18 AM »
The plan is to avoid duplication, and to keep the Xorg extension and base X libs in sync. They have been updated every time the Xorg extension has.

The next update, Xorg 7.5, will come with TC 3.0, because many features depend on the newer kernel.

What do you mean by incomplete? If xcb, I consider that bloat (Python, added size for little benefits), and will do without it as long as possible.
The only barriers that can stop you are the ones you create yourself.

Offline gutmensch

• Administrator
    • remembrance blog
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2010, 03:26:26 AM »
By incomplete I mean that it lacks for example libX11.so, libXext.so, etc. pp. which are in the base instead of the extension. Wouldn't consider that bloat but a major inconsistency regarding the principles of tc (since these libs belong to Xorg and NOT by default to tc) ;-)
If I seem unduly clear to you, you must have misunderstood what I said. (Alan Greenspan)

Offline curaga

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2010, 04:54:52 AM »
Well, we want the base to have X, and if the libs are already there, why make the Xorg extension bigger than necessary?

As a side note, they are separated in MC, so if you need a newer lib for some reason, you can edit Xlibs.gz and run MC.

Offline gutmensch

• Administrator
    • remembrance blog
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2010, 06:38:13 AM »
Well personally I think saving 10% of space (Xorg-7.4 + libs ~ 22 MB instead of 20) doesn't overcome the feature of having Xorg as a complete extension (with all stuff consistently in /usr/local) and without having to touch the tc base...

Anyway, does Xvesa yet compile on Xorg-7.5? I read in the release info that all the kdrive servers have been removed because of lack of maintaining etc. Sooner or later there will be problems using the same base libs for Xvesa and Xorg I guess?

Btw. has been there a poll lately about the use of Xorg instead of Xvesa? Would be interesting to see, it's possible to make it quite tiny too (about 9 MB with !all! X libs, kbd, mouse, vesa, fonts, etc.).

Offline Jason W

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2010, 06:48:24 AM »
Xvesa does not depend on any X libs.  It was made from Xfree86-4.8.0, has nothing to do with Xorg.  The Xorg kdrive became way too bloated with too many dependencies.  In Xfree it receives only minor bug fixes and compatibility with building on newer systems.

Offline curaga

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2010, 08:53:39 AM »
The X abis aren't going to be broken soon, if in decades. There has been talk about how R6 (published in -94) doesn't need a rehaul, because of its extensibility.

That 9mb is without any 3d, and possibly without video accel. Not ideal for many users methinks.
About a poll, feel free to post one.