Tiny Core Extensions > TCE Q&A Forum

how to see my applications after reboot?

(1/3) > >>

beerstein:
Hi:
I tried the new 2.8 version and installed: midnight commander, Firefox, roxfiler and geannie.
These applications are all I want. I was able to put a mydate.tgz file onto my /hda1/tcabackup
directory.
Ehen I reboot I can see all my applications in my /home/tce  directory and can do a local install.

But the help file says (at least I understand it that way) that I can save and install the applications.

The current status is, that after reboot I always have to reinstall locally to see my applications. Is there a way to
have them installed from /hda1/ automatically at reboot?

Can somebody help me on that? Or does somebody know a post where it is explained.

Thank you so much in advance
beerstein

Guy:
I don't know exactly what you have done, or what you understand, but here is some info which will help.

The extensions now need to be in /tce/optional. Which may be /mnt/hda1/tce/optional.

Some things have changed. The easiest way may be to remove mydate.tgz, and set 2.8 up as a new installation. (You can make the necessary changes if you know what you are doing.) It is best to save a copy of any files you don't want to lose before updating Tiny Core.

After doing this and rebooting Tiny Core:

Open the Control Panel, and run Apps Audit, then OnBoot. Click on any programs you want to load automatically when starting Tiny Core.

Still in the Control Panel, run OnDemand. Select the numbers of any programs you don't want to load automatically when you start Tiny Core. These can be started from On Demand in the menu.

In earlier versions /tce/optional must be owned by tc:staff. This is probably still the case. If it is not, installing additional programs won't work. One way to do this is to create the optional directory in /home/tc with a normal file manager, and cut and paste it to the /tce directory with a root file manager.

I hope this helps.

If you have more questions, post them.

^thehatsrule^:
It's probably quicker and more seamless to move the files directly to your newly specified tce/optional directory (then use appsaudit, etc).  Afterwards, backing up as usual should be seamless as well.

beerstein:
Thank you so much for your help and suggestions
=======================================
Here are more details:

I have not installed TC yet. So when I mentioned "reboot" in my first post I ment booting from a TC live
CD ROM.

Here is what I would like to do:
1) Boot a live TC CD-ROM
2) install several vip applications ( only what I need) and setup my network stuff
after these applications are installed I see the icons.
3) Now I would like to have these applications resident on my
/dev/hda1 (FAT 32) or (ext3) whatever I choose.
4) Now I will use these applications and the network stuff.
5) After shutting down the live CD ROM and reboot from CDROM on the same machine
I would like to see my application icons and have my network ready to run.

So far I only can find my applications and have to reeinstall them everytime.

I think this is a very interesting and powerful feature of TC just to have a few applications (only the ones I really need) and have a quick boot and fast execution on the machine.

All the best for you guys and thank you so much

gerald_clark:
mkdir /mnt/hda1/tce
Reboot
Configure your network
Install your applications.
Run backup.
Shutdown.

On next boot, your applications will load and your network will be configured.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version