WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: Installing new tce version over existing one.  (Read 4314 times)

Offline bigpcman

Installing new tce version over existing one.
« on: January 15, 2009, 01:23:53 PM »
I'm wondering what the consequences of installing a new tce over an existing one are? If the new tce installs new or different dependent support files and libraries does the cleanup have to be done manually. Is a manual check required before an update?
big pc man

Offline curaga

• Administrator
Re: Installing new tce version over existing one.
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2009, 01:49:23 AM »
The cleanup is done by a reboot, and after that only the new files are available (HD installs aren't officially supported :) persistency in /usr/local is a middle case, if an extension is put there it would need manual cleanup)

Usually an update works just fine.
The only barriers that can stop you are the ones you create yourself.

Offline bigpcman

« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2009, 05:57:23 AM »
I tried reinstalling using the app browser emelfm2 and found that that the app browser does not appear to overwrite the existing emelfm2 in the tce directory. The app browser just instantly responds with the message installed. I had to manually delete the emelfm2 from the tce directory to get the new install to work.
big pc man

Offline tobiaus

• Suspended
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2009, 11:15:44 AM »
I had to manually delete the emelfm2 from the tce directory to get the new install to work.

while that may be a slight inconvenience, it's easy to believe it was designed exactly that way, and the fact is that if a tce won't overwrite an existing file, the "package management" (i'll call it that) for tc is less powerful... and relatively secure. when you think of it like that, it's probably worth keeping it the same.

Offline Kingdomcome

« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2009, 04:56:45 PM »
I believe appbrowser looks in /usr/local/tce.installed/ for a list of installed apps.  Deleting the file with the name of the extension you want to re-install, or simply download again allows appbrowser to perform the action you choose.
If you use the ppi method with a tclocal, there may be other complications that would need to be considered.