WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: microcore_v2.8rc3  (Read 15793 times)

Offline roberts

• Administrator
  • Founder Emeritus
microcore_v2.8rc3
« on: January 17, 2010, 06:13:28 AM »
The Third Release Candidate of Micro Core v2.8 (microcore_2.8rc3.iso), is now posted and ready for testing.
http://distro.ibiblio.org/pub/linux/distributions/tinycorelinux/2.x/release_candidates/microcore/

microcore_2.8rc3.iso
microcore_2.8rc3.iso.md5.txt

Change Log for Micro Core v2.8

rc1:
* Updated tce-load to allow miltiple loading, e.g., tce-load -i *.tcz
* Updated tce-load to drop ".tcz" requirement.
* Updated cd_dvd_symlinks.sh for better multiple cd and dvd devices.
* Cleanup of tce-setup & tce-update of l,m,lm, and ml code.
* Updated tce-fetch.sh to cleanup old dual repository support.
* Updated tce-update to prompt before beginning easy mode batch update operation.
* After much Team testing and input, the upx'ed kernel returns, prior kernel is in distribution files.
* Dropped symlinker by using builtin cp construct.

rc2:
* Updated tce-update for selective interaction via CLI options "query", "list", and "update".
* Dropped dropbearmulti from base.
* Updated rc.shutdown by reverse umount loops to support tcvd virtual drive.

rc3:
This release candidate changes the storage of extensions to a single location, the optional directory located under your "tce" directory. Boot time loadind of application extensions are provided by links into the optional directory. These links are easily maintained with the new OnBoot section of appsaudit.  This will better support the trend to use more "OnDemand" items, make it easy to "move" applicatons into and out of the "OnBoot", tce, directory. This also greatly improves systems resources by having a single copy of dependencies.  Having a single area to host all extensions & dependencies also greatly improves auditing and both batch and selective updating.

* Updated tce-setup, tce-load, and tce-audit to support new extension support structure.
* Updated 'ab' shell appbrowser for more consistent input handling.
* Updated udev rules for much quicker boot times with loop mount extensions.
* Updated rebuildfstab for faster response.
* Updated filetool.sh to ignore sockets.
* Updated tc-terminal-server typo.

We now have a single directory from which to audit dependencies, perform selective updates, and pick and choose our on boot selection of applications.

New all core elements are now cpio'ed .gz and can be located in the boot directory for loading via your boot loader or can be placed in the main "tce" directory and loaded after boot via tce-setup

Example boot loader stanza for new core elements

Code: [Select]
label tinycore
kernel /boot/bzImage
append initrd=/boot/microcore.gz,/boot/Xprogs.core.gz,/boot/Xlibs.core.gz,/boot/Xvesa.core.gz quiet noswap vga=773 tce=UUID=aaab6273-4a6c-4118-8eb2-e31a9b31edb3 waitusb=5 max_loop=255

« Last Edit: January 17, 2010, 10:48:50 AM by roberts »
10+ Years Contributing to Linux Open Source Projects.

Offline helander

Re: microcore_v2.8rc3
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2010, 06:23:57 AM »
New all core elements are now cpio'ed .gz and can be located in the boot directory for loading via your boot loader or can be places in the main "tce" directory and loaded after boot via tce-setup

Do tce-setup load the .gz (initramfs file) or do the core elements exist in two packages, .tcz and .gz ?

/Lars

[fixed quote]
« Last Edit: January 17, 2010, 12:14:58 PM by ^thehatsrule^ »

Offline roberts

• Administrator
  • Founder Emeritus
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2010, 06:31:16 AM »
Only .gz see the microcore download section. tce-setup has been modded to load the cpio'ed core elements as well as your collection of OnBoot tczs.

Offline helander

« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2010, 06:32:39 AM »
OK, thanks.

/Lars

Offline gerald_clark

• TinyCore Moderator
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2010, 09:51:50 AM »
Loaded the .gz files into the tce directory.
Booted with norestore and flwm loads.
No menu popup with mouse buttons.
Windows have no top or side bar.

Tinycore is fine.

Offline Juanito

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2010, 09:53:44 AM »
You need the latest flwm - maybe it's not posted yet?

Offline roberts

• Administrator
  • Founder Emeritus
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2010, 10:32:10 AM »
flwm.tcz & flwm_topside.tcz built for new fltk-1.1.10 in Core v2.8rc3 are now posted in the repository.
These are primarily for use with microcore.

Offline gerald_clark

• TinyCore Moderator
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2010, 10:41:42 AM »
That did it. Thanks.

Offline alu

« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2010, 01:37:08 PM »
booting microcore_v2.8rc3 with norestore in the bootline and encountering following issues:

- bzImage and microcore.gz are in my /mnt/hda1/boot folder; hda1 is a cf-card pluged in a ide/cf cardreader in my computer (imb thinkpad x31);

- all my extensions which should be loaded at boot are in /mnt/hda1/tce; they were not loaded at boot; i have cut and copy them to /mnt/hda1/tce/optional (newly created folder), but they were not loaded either;

- i am using scripts together with /opt/bootlocal.sh in order to execute commands at boot; one of them call a script named 'ln' (which symlinks other scripts to /home/tc) placed on /mnt/hda1; the execution of bootlocal.sh returns that the file 'ln' does not exist; while using

sudo /mnt/hda1/ln  or cd /mnt/hda1 && ./ln

mc tells that there is no such a file; it tells me the same while i want to execute other scripts in /mnt/hda1; loading the extensions at the command line with tce-load -i works;

- while loading the X*.core.gz elements with tce-setup:

sudo tce-setup /mnt/hda1/tcz/Xvesa/Xprogs.core.gz

tc tells that there is neither a *.gz.tcz (??) nor a *.tcz extensions; i can't get the core elements loaded using tce-load -i either.

Offline gerald_clark

• TinyCore Moderator
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2010, 03:16:21 PM »
alu, Move all your apps from tce to tce/optional.
Run appsaudit and use OnBoot to select which applications you want booted.
I you are not running X, just make symlinks in tce to the programs you want in tce/optional.
Dependencies will be loaded automatically as before.

Offline alu

« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2010, 03:50:46 PM »
thanks gerald_clark, i did move my extensions from /tce to /tce/optional, but still, they don't load at boot; i have only two tcz extensions which i want to be loaded at boot, there are bash.tcz and kmaps.tcz.

on OnBoot: how do i use it? i still remain with tce-load -i in order to load extensions.

Offline gerald_clark

• TinyCore Moderator
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2010, 05:10:47 PM »
OnBoot is an option in the "Apps Audit" program in the control panel.
If you cannot run the control panel, you can make the symlinks mmanually

cd mnt/hdXy/tce
ln -s optional/bash.tcz .
ln -s optional/kmaps.tcz .

Offline Juanito

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2010, 07:17:44 PM »
- all my extensions which should be loaded at boot are in /mnt/hda1/tce; they were not loaded at boot; i have cut and copy them to /mnt/hda1/tce/optional (newly created folder), but they were not loaded either;
/tce should contain symlinks to the extensions in /tce/optional that you require to be loaded at boot

- while loading the X*.core.gz elements with tce-setup:

sudo tce-setup /mnt/hda1/tcz/Xvesa/Xprogs.core.gz
the *core.gz elements should be in /tce (or in /boot and called by the bootloader) and then everything should work by entering "sudo tce-setup" without any argument

Offline alu

« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2010, 01:22:30 AM »
the *core.gz elements should be in /tce (or in /boot and called by the bootloader) and then everything should work by entering "sudo tce-setup" without any argument

would this mean that the *.core.gz extension must be loaded at boot either by the bootloader or by the tce command? if so, it seems to me that we are loosing the ability not to load the X*.core.gz elements while remaining at the command line with mc, or to load them later. or do i always have the possibility to load the X*.core.gz elements later (i understood Robert's post that way), and if so how should i do that?

Offline roberts

• Administrator
  • Founder Emeritus
« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2010, 06:05:19 AM »
If you use the boot loader method then you would have two boot stanzas one for full X and the other without.

If you choose to place the .gzs into the base of your "tce" directory, then as before booting base norestore provides the base cli and after boot tce-setup will allow to use full X. This is operationally the same as before.