Tiny Core Base > TCB Talk

Hi, does tiny core linux fits in for imx27

(1/1)

supersprit:
hi all, i want to put Tiny core linux on to embedded board (imx 27ADS board), which has 128MB RAM and 400MHZ cpu. i like to try some intensive multimedia players on it. does Tiny core works for me. pls suggest your views.

-super

curaga:
That board uses an ARM processor, while TC is for x86 cpus. Currently TC won't run on it.

supersprit:
i came across one of the topics listed below.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
BY: althalus   
Re: Tinycore as a Mobile OS ?
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2009, 06:31:06 AM »    Reply with quote
It has nothing to do with size. Chipset architectures are completely unrelated to storage methods. ARM and x86 are different chipsets. They use a different set of instructions to run applications, and software compiled using one set of instructions will not work on a chipset using a different set.

It IS possible to compile and run linux on mobile devices - Check out Maemo, Nokia N900, Google Android, Moblin. These are all linux or linux variants, but they have been compiled specifically for mobile architectures. But TC in it's present form will not work on handheld devices.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

this has some answer for my query. i thought if maemo of android (linux based os'es) run on ARM architecture why not tiny core.i felt i just need to compile the kernel and include the support of ARM. did anybody tried such things...

curaga:
No, all software would need recompilation, not just the kernel.

cjgau:
@curaga
--- Quote ---Currently TC won't run on it.
--- End quote ---

The request to run TC on ARM or embedded systems has been asked quite many times on this forum; hate to see it spins off as a separate project.

A noobie’s question: How hard is it to have the necessary tool chains and cross compiling settings? Do we have the record of count for chromium-browser download from the extension repo?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version