Tiny Core Extensions > TCE Talk

dropbox on Tiny Core

(1/2) > >>

dentonlt:
Dropbox is a [not at all minimalistic] tool for synchronizing the contents of a folder to multiple sites across a network connection. It is a cross-platform tool that supports Win, Mac, and Linux, and also stores a copy of your data online (2GB acct free, bigger at a fee).

Dropbox does work on Tiny Core, but it's some 25 MB unzipped + GTK + python. Huge might be more accurate, but it works. I don't intend to make an extension myself - have at it.

If you only use Linux, I suggest you explore other options on Linux. I hear unison can be an effective tool. I use Dropbox for cross-platform data sync & backup.

If you'd like to try it:
(1) read http://wiki.dropbox.com/TipsAndTricks/TextBasedLinuxInstall
(2) pick up the following from the "Linux" link at www.getdropbox.com:
* dropbox.py
* dropbox-lnx.x86-0.7.79.tar.gz (or latest version available)

Run steps:
- load GTK2 + python & dependencies
- untar the dropbox tar file
- cd .dropbox-dist (it's a hidden dir, mind)
- run the dropbox binary (this is a daemon process), and follow instructions for setting your folder
- use 'python dropbox.py' to check the status of the daemon

I am running a dual-boot Win/Linux netbook, with a single Dropbox folder on a shared FAT partition. For access to the folder in Linux, I keep a symbolic link from /home/tc/Dropbox -> /mnt/hda4/My\ Dropbox.

Happy synchronizing.

helander:
I have created a dropbox.tcz (and dropbox.tcz.dep) that simplifies the task of getting dropbox to work on TC. I have included a dropbox.desktop file that automatically populates your desktop environments menu (in case you are using a freedesktop compliant desktop environment, e.g LXDE). In case you want dropbox to automatically start when the desktop starts, you only have to copy dropbox.desktop to the desktops autostart directory.

Right know i have one laptop running TC and one laptop running Win XP, and on the Win laptop I run a TC instance in VirtualBox. All three "machines" share the contents of my Dropbox.

/Lars

dentonlt:
Ah, good work, Lars. How big is that extension altogether?

helander:
It is 14MB right now. I just recalled that I had not tried to strip it from unneeded symbols. I will try and see if that makes it smaller.

In case you want to try it out I can send you a personal message with a link to where you can download it, just let me know :)

/Lars

helander:
Size is now 12MB, "at the cost" of a few more dependencies.

/Lars

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version