WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: tinycore_v2.8rc2  (Read 12071 times)

Offline roberts

• Administrator
  • Founder Emeritus
tinycore_v2.8rc2
« on: January 07, 2010, 03:19:17 PM »
The Second Release Candidate of v2.8 (tinycore_2.8rc2.iso), is now posted and ready for testing.
http://distro.ibiblio.org/pub/linux/distributions/tinycorelinux/2.x/release_candidates

tinycore_2.8rc2.iso
tinycore_2.8rc2.iso.md5.txt

Change log for Tiny Core v2.8
rc1:
* Updated tce-load to allow miltiple loading, e.g., tce-load -i *.tcz
* Updated tce-load to drop ".tcz" requirement.
* Updated appsaudit to allow  selective removal of items from "marked for deletion"
* Updated appsaudit to allow operation in tce directory as well as tce/optional directory, use File option.
* Updated appsaudit menu for smoother operation.
* Updated cd_dvd_symlinks.sh for better multiple cd and dvd devices.
* Cleanup of tce-setup & tce-update of l,m,lm, and ml code.
* Updated tce-fetch.sh to cleanup old dual repository support.
* Updated tce-update to prompt before beginning easy mode batch update operation.
* After much Team testing and input, the upx'ed kernel returns, prior kernel is in distribution files.
* Dropped symlinker by using builtin cp construct.
* Dropped GNU ftp from base.
rc2:
* Updated tce-update for selective interaction via CLI options "query", "list", and "update".
* Major updates to appsaudit including new "Updates" menu option to "check for updates and selectively update wired into the tce-update options.
* Updated and reorganized cpanel, added "TCE Update", "USB Install", "Run Command", "Xkill", and "Xvesa Setup"
* Dropped dropbearmulti from base.
* Updated appbrowser cleanup of l,m,lm,ml code.
* Updated rc.shutdown by reverse umount loops to support tcvd virtual drive.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2010, 05:35:14 PM by roberts »
10+ Years Contributing to Linux Open Source Projects.

Offline roberts

• Administrator
  • Founder Emeritus
Re: tinycore_v2.8rc2
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2010, 03:27:39 PM »
The distribution files including the prior un-upx'ed kernel can be found:
http://distro.ibiblio.org/pub/linux/distributions/tinycorelinux/2.x/release_candidates/distribution_files/

Offline maro

« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2010, 03:49:32 PM »
Thanks to the team for this latest release candidate.

I'd like to enquire if it is planned to create extensions for those applications that were dropped from base as part of the 2.8 release cycle? I'd imagine that some users see a benefit in having a small ftp client or a small ssh client/server.

Offline Jason W

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2010, 04:46:34 PM »
Yes, a dropbear extension is planned.  Maybe tonight if there are no snags.

Offline jur

• cycling photo essays
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2010, 05:17:47 PM »
Installing from /tce/optional with AppBrowser>File>Install Local, brings up a filter *.tcz$ which in my case lists nothing. I have to go custom filter and zap the $ before anything is shown.

Offline gerald_clark

• TinyCore Moderator
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2010, 05:30:06 PM »
Appbrowser->Install Options->Exit Instal Options is missing 2nd l in Install.

Offline roberts

• Administrator
  • Founder Emeritus
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2010, 05:34:02 PM »
Installing from /tce/optional with AppBrowser>File>Install Local, brings up a filter *.tcz$ which in my case lists nothing. I have to go custom filter and zap the $ before anything is shown.
Got it fixed! Thanks!

Offline roberts

• Administrator
  • Founder Emeritus
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2010, 05:34:46 PM »
Appbrowser->Install Options->Exit Instal Options is missing 2nd l in Install.
Is that appsaudit? Got it. Thanks.

Offline tclfan

« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2010, 07:30:27 PM »
I have done brief testing of RC2 on two machines and have not encountered those boot problems or freezing in spite this UPXd kernel. However when exiting to command prompt I need to hit Enter to get prompt. This is a minor inconvenience, hardly worth mentioning, but would be nice to have it eventually fixed.

Offline Machete

« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2010, 08:52:52 AM »
I'm assuming there hasn't been any changes in the kernel, since you didn't mention any, and I'm still getting the "ACPI: Unable to load the system descriptor tables" on bootup in VirtualBox.

Again, if there is ANY information you need from me to help get this issue resolved, I'm more than happy to help in any way I can.

By the way, for you other people getting the IO-APIC error, there's a simple fix: enable the IO APIC option in System\Motherboard. It's just under the Boot Order box.

Offline Kingdomcome

« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2010, 09:47:55 AM »
* After much Team testing and input, the upx'ed kernel returns, prior kernel is in distribution files.

This is the cause for the ACPI errors during boot and also the cause for the VM not closing after shutdown. I understand and respect what the team is trying to do with the upx'ed  kernel, but I wont be using it in my daily use.

Offline roberts

• Administrator
  • Founder Emeritus
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2010, 10:09:14 AM »
A final decision on which kernel will be made before final cut of 2.8.

We are making the prior kernel available in the distribtuion file area:
http://distro.ibiblio.org/pub/linux/distributions/tinycorelinux/2.x/release_candidates/distribution_files/bzImage-prior

I hope that you afford yourself of this to help test the many new features coming in 2.8.

When you say, VM, it works in Qemu and others, so far as been reported, it seems to be a virtual box issue.

Also, there has only been one hardware configuration from only one user reporting problems.

Release cycles are a period of public testing, and providing as much detailed feedback so that the Team can further improve and enhance Core.

Offline roberts

• Administrator
  • Founder Emeritus
« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2010, 10:10:24 AM »
I'm assuming there hasn't been any changes in the kernel, since you didn't mention any, and I'm still getting the "ACPI: Unable to load the system descriptor tables" on bootup in VirtualBox.

Again, if there is ANY information you need from me to help get this issue resolved, I'm more than happy to help in any way I can.

By the way, for you other people getting the IO-APIC error, there's a simple fix: enable the IO APIC option in System\Motherboard. It's just under the Boot Order box.
Any chatter on the VirtualBox support forums to get them to fully support this as other VMs do?

Frank

« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2010, 11:25:50 AM »
When you say, VM, it works in Qemu and others, so far as been reported, it seems to be a virtual box issue.

QEMU 0.12.1 (on Linux) gives error messages, too:

ACPI: Unable to load the System Description Tables
PnPBios: dev_node_info: function not supported on this system
PnPBios: unable to get node info.  Aborting.

This happens both with and without qemu's "-enable-kvm" parameter in the commandline.

Offline tclfan

« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2010, 02:12:45 PM »

This is the cause for the ACPI errors during boot and also the cause for the VM not closing after shutdown. I understand and respect what the team is trying to do with the upx'ed  kernel, but I wont be using it in my daily use.
My brief testing was booting straight from LiveCD, but since I am planning to virtualize TCL soon, this is of great concern. It looks to me the issue is not VM BIOS's across the board, but rather UPX as the common denominator...