WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: tinycore_v2.7rc2  (Read 6105 times)

Offline roberts

• Administrator
  • Founder Emeritus
tinycore_v2.7rc2
« on: December 18, 2009, 07:15:38 AM »
The Second Release Candidate of v2.7 (tinycore_2.7rc2.iso), is now posted and ready for testing.
http://distro.ibiblio.org/pub/linux/distributions/tinycorelinux/2.x/release_candidates

tinycore_2.7rc2.iso
tinycore_2.7rc2.iso.md5.txt

Bug fix and Feature Enhancements change log for v2.7rc2
* Updated ondemand bug fix to support flwm_topside
* Updated tce-setup bug fix to support core2fs options in /opt/tce
* Updated tce-load bug fix to support core2fs options in /opt/tce
* Updated tce-update feature enhancement for nfs support (Thanks to Gerald Clark)
* Updated rebuildfstab for block major 11 devices
* Updated udev/rules.d/75-cd-dvd.rules for sr[0-9] devices.
10+ Years Contributing to Linux Open Source Projects.

Offline bmarkus

• Administrator
    • My Community Forum
Re: tinycore_v2.7rc2
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2009, 08:44:01 AM »
Robert,

2.7rc2 works fine, /tce dir is now recognized on my all machines.

TNX!
Béla
Ham Radio callsign: HA5DI

"Amateur Radio: The First Technology-Based Social Network."

Offline roberts

• Administrator
  • Founder Emeritus
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2009, 10:17:46 AM »
Great to hear. Thanks for the feedback.
I am not planning any other new features just bug fixes before 2.7 goes gold.

Offline bmarkus

• Administrator
    • My Community Forum
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2009, 11:03:04 AM »
Dear Robert,

it will be a nice XMAS gift! It is interesting to see how TC changed in the last 6 month from the dual tce/tcz support and hard to understand operating modes from a more userfriendly solution without loosing its flexibility and modularity.

Also what makes me happy and makes TC unique is the cooperation between core team and community which is an essential strength and rellay a working development model. I'm happy that I found TC in Summer time.

Merry XMAS !!!
Béla

Offline maro

« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2009, 07:03:17 PM »
Just a minor suggestion for the "ondemand" script to use in line 31 "mkdir -p ..." (instead of "mkdir ...").

On that thought, I wonder whether there is a reason not to use in pretty much all cases the "-p" option. This way one script does not have to rely on the fact that another process has already created all parent directories.

Offline roberts

• Administrator
  • Founder Emeritus
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2009, 08:21:11 PM »
bmarkus. Thanks for the kind words and. Merry Christmas!

In just over one year from going public, my desire to create a tiny base Linux system has come along way. I have indeed selected a great team to help and support this project. But it is also the community, I wish to thank.

It gives me inspiration and motivation to see the efforts put forward by the team and community. The saying "built it and they will come". I have had great joy in building it and well to see the results is amazing. Thank you for contributions especially XFCE and LXDE. From Tiny Core to fully integrated desktop and all stops between. Awesome!
« Last Edit: December 18, 2009, 08:26:48 PM by roberts »

Offline roberts

• Administrator
  • Founder Emeritus
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2009, 08:23:25 PM »
Just a minor suggestion for the "ondemand" script to use in line 31 "mkdir -p ..." (instead of "mkdir ...").

On that thought, I wonder whether there is a reason not to use in pretty much all cases the "-p" option. This way one script does not have to rely on the fact that another process has already created all parent directories.

OK. Will do. Thanks.

Offline philip

« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2009, 10:05:46 PM »
I had no end of trouble with 2.7rc2, especially the wireless, on my Acer Aspire One netbook. Until I powered the thing off, counted to 0xA, and rebooted from scratch. Then everything worked! Google says this is a known feature of the Atheros wireless chips: if they get confused (I'm not sure how), nothing but a nice power-off nap will make them perform as expected. This is the kind of loopy undocumented experience that may help somebody else, so I mention it here.

Also, I wanted to get in on the general celebration of TinyCore and how sweet it is. I have four thin clients (2 home-made, 2 rescued from Windows) running pretty minimal TC. Each one is always on and getting lots of use. Not to mention my peppy, instant-on, bloat-free netbook now running the latest release candidate. Hearty thanks and warm greetings to Robert and Team TC!

Offline bmarkus

• Administrator
    • My Community Forum
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2009, 01:27:27 AM »
Just few minor notes.

In /etc/sysconfig/cdroms drive ( /dev/hdd ) is listed twice in one line.

Theres is an ampty file, /etc/sysconfig/newlibs. What is it inteded for?

Feature request for 2.8:

Record boot media, partition system was booted from in /etc/sysconfig/bootmedia or something like this.

Implement priority on multiple /tce dirs. Booting from USB on a system with HDD and /tce on both HDD and USB, HDD dir is used. /tce on the boot USB would be more practical.

Béla

Offline roberts

• Administrator
  • Founder Emeritus
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2009, 06:27:55 AM »
Just few minor notes.

In /etc/sysconfig/cdroms drive ( /dev/hdd ) is listed twice in one line.

Theres is an ampty file, /etc/sysconfig/newlibs. What is it inteded for?

Feature request for 2.8:

Record boot media, partition system was booted from in /etc/sysconfig/bootmedia or something like this.

Implement priority on multiple /tce dirs. Booting from USB on a system with HDD and /tce on both HDD and USB, HDD dir is used. /tce on the boot USB would be more practical.

re: cdroms
It is probably listed twice because the system identified it as a cdrom and then again as a dvd. My guess is that your hdd is therefore a dvd. I use the list when I tightened up the rules in rebuildfstab to eliminate those extra devices. rebuildfstab is quite different from early 2.x.

re: newlibs
ldconfig is called after every extension load. However during booting I did not want to do such. So I  use newlibs as a flag. The flag is really no longer needed in 2.7 as it is always be set . A single call to ldconfig after booting should always be performed. I will remove the flag.

re: tce priority
You can always specify which device to use for your tce directory via the tce boot code.

Offline roberts

• Administrator
  • Founder Emeritus
« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2009, 06:38:00 AM »
There is a bug that has been reported. It has been identified, fixed and the fix verifed.
The grep of copy2fs.lst is broken in this rc. copy2fs.flg works. 
Later today I will release v2.7 final

Offline bmarkus

• Administrator
    • My Community Forum
« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2009, 01:47:51 PM »
re: cdroms
It is probably listed twice because the system identified it as a cdrom and then again as a dvd. My guess is that your hdd is therefore a dvd. I use the list when I tightened up the rules in rebuildfstab to eliminate those extra devices. rebuildfstab is quite different from early 2.x.

Tested on two different machine. One has a drive which can read and write CD and read DVD, other can r/w CD/DVD. In both cases drive is listed twice:

/dev/hda /dev/hda

or

/dev/hdc /dev/hdc

Not a big issue, but if there are no specific meaning of the first and second, one would be enough.

re: newlibs
ldconfig is called after every extension load. However during booting I did not want to do such. So I  use newlibs as a flag. The flag is really no longer needed in 2.7 as it is always be set . A single call to ldconfig after booting should always be performed. I will remove the flag.

Thanks for the explanation.

re: tce priority
You can always specify which device to use for your tce directory via the tce boot code.

True. But moving around the stick with different machines it is changing depending on the hw config. AFter the first supprise of course you can identify the issue but using autromatically the USB dir would be more elegant and practical. One can say that the chance that there is alerady a /tce dir on the host machine is low, but still not zero :)

BTW, same request is valid for the saved configuration data (restore).

Béla