Tiny Core Base > TCB Q&A Forum

IO APIC resources could not be allocated

(1/1)

differential:
Hi
I am trying out tcl for the first time on a Compaq Armada laptop E500 Pentium3 with 256MB ram and am getting the above boot message.  TinyCore appears to load ok but does not find the ethernet connection and I have not been able to configure this on the control panel.

This computer will run Puppy Linux with no problems.  In fact, I have never had this problem with Puppy and have been using it since v. 1.07 and likewise, DSL 4.4.10 works flawlessly on this machine and dhcps to the ethernet  connection with no problems.

I spent some time attempting to install light versions of Ubuntu on this computer and the above problem came up every time, however.

I have searched the tcl forum and others have had this problem but did not seem to find a solution.  From what I have found, the laptop's APIC is obviously challenged and would not give problems with Windows but is a difficulty with Linux. 

It does seem that this problem can be addressed in the linux kernel?  In the operating system anyway.

I am hopeful that a solution to this is found because TinyCore appears ideal for these old laptops.

Russell

roberts:
Appears that it is kernel and either use Tiny Core v1.x or wait for Tiny Core v3.x
However you can try: http://forum.tinycorelinux.net/index.php?topic=1252.0

differential:
Thanks roberts.

I think that my experiences with Ubuntu coloured my reasoning.  With more recent Ubuntus, if you get the 'IO APIC resources could not be allocated' message, the installation will not work properly.

TCL gives the above message but later dmesg shows that local APIC is not detected and it is using APIC emulation which is what Puppy does too.

dmesg also shows:
e100: eth0: e100_request_firmware Failed to load
firmware "e100/d101s_ucode.bin" :-2
e100: Intel(R) PRO/100 Network Driver 3.5.23-k6-NAPI

So it seems that the ethernet driver did not load and from another post it looks as if I need "firmware-2.6.29.1-tinycore.tcz" but when I try to download it with another distro, I can't and when I use TCL ( I am using TCL on another computer to type this) I am having difficulty saving it.  Since the topic has now changed, (and the version of Opera browser I installed does not seem to have a minimise icon) I will re-post.

Thanks again
Russell

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version