WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: Recursion of extension.dep files  (Read 4699 times)

Offline Kingdomcome

Recursion of extension.dep files
« on: January 15, 2009, 08:16:57 AM »
I was curious about this topic while I was attempting to make a samba extension.  Now that Juanito has, I feel this question needs asking and answering.  When a new extension is made that depends on another extension, that depends on another extension, should the new extension.dep contain all dependencies an sub-dependencies? 
Looking at this from the other side, would it be possible to take the burden off of the extension makers to track down all sub-dependencies with a couple lines of code in appbrowser(?) to recursively check extension.dep files?
Not to point fingers or call out a great contributor with the example here, but when I downloaded samba today, the samba.dep only contains cups.tcel.  cups.tcel was downloaded, but the .dep was not, and therefore, the cups dependencies were not.  Choosing to download cups.tcel in the appbrowser did grab the dep file and satisfy the dependencies, but I feel an understanding of roberts' intentions and a standard remedy for this merits discussion. 

Offline ^thehatsrule^

• Administrator
Re: Recursion of extension.dep files
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2009, 09:17:38 AM »
Simple dependency is used.  So there is no recursion at all.

The samba.dep should contain all the dependencies of the other extensions, so it should probably be listed as a TCE bug.

Offline Juanito

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2009, 09:36:30 AM »
I forgot to include the cups dependencies in the samba dep file - thanks for pointing this out, I'll fix it shortly

Edit: It should be OK now
« Last Edit: January 15, 2009, 10:22:31 AM by Juanito »

Offline roberts

• Administrator
  • Founder Emeritus
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2009, 10:12:57 AM »
Everything that I have done with Tiny Core is too keep it simple.

As such, the simple test for any extension and its required . dep file, is to boot tiny core with the base norestore options then load your extension. If you have a proper .dep file your extension will work.
10+ Years Contributing to Linux Open Source Projects.

Offline Juanito

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2009, 10:47:49 PM »
It could be worth having tce-load list the extensions in the dep file as it loads them?

Offline tobiaus

• Suspended
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2009, 11:49:30 PM »
It could be worth having tce-load list the extensions in the dep file as it loads them?

it would be good to have a boot option that allowed tce-load to retain dep files, instead of deleting them. you could also have this boot option log each file contained in each extension, under path-named-by-boot-option/extension-name.log.

Offline curaga

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2009, 01:51:31 AM »
it would be good to have a boot option that allowed tce-load to retain dep files, instead of deleting them.
They are only removed if there is no tce directory, if there is one they are kept in there.
The only barriers that can stop you are the ones you create yourself.

Offline tobiaus

• Suspended
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2009, 05:36:37 AM »
They are only removed if there is no tce directory, if there is one they are kept in there.

hmm, suppose you're using cloud... usually it's not necessary to use a path in the tce= boot option, but i've seen someone do that. if you used cloud and tce=/tmp ... maybe you could trick tc into saving .dep's using the existing options, maybe you'd have to create /tmp/tce after booting.