WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: samba3  (Read 12533 times)

Offline Juanito

• Administrator
samba3
« on: January 15, 2009, 02:41:05 AM »
samba3 extension posted.

I'll start to look at the possibility of a gui front-end - there are several to choose from, does anybody have a particular favourite?

Offline Kingdomcome

Re: samba3
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2009, 10:20:25 AM »
Well, after a lot of googling and a fair amount of monkeying around with my own compilations and now the extension, I have managed to get samba to run.  Two directories need to be created (along with your smb.conf) before samba starts up happily.
Code: [Select]
sudo mkdir -p /var/lib/samba /etc/samba/privateI believe it would also be wise to add these dirs plus contents to your backup

Thanks again!

P.S. - Juanito, while you are editing .dep files, can you take a look at cups.dep? ref: http://forum.tinycorelinux.net/index.php?topic=394.0

Offline Juanito

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2009, 11:02:29 AM »
Several applications - eg cups, dbus and samba seem to have the trait of not wanting to create directories they need in order to be able to run. Later versions of cups appear to have dropped this "feature" but, as you point out, samba (and dbus) kept it.

I'd previously added a wrapper script to test for missing directories/conf files with cups and (maybe) samba, but I really don't know enough about samba to know the full range of directories/conf files that might be needed for its many uses.

Perhaps we can capture the various samba comments in this thread and I'll add them to the info file every now and again.

BTW, if you're working on an extension, please feel to say so in the forum so we avoid duplicating our efforts

Offline Kingdomcome

« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2009, 03:12:32 PM »
At my knowledge level, I would not have felt comfortable submitting this extension had I gotten it to make without errors.  After loading your extension and turning on syslog was I able to track down the 2 missing directories.  After 6 hours of running through a couple reboots, I have not found any other problems.  A wrapper script might just be the key to have samba fully functional out of the box.
Thank you very much for your work on TinyCore and your response.  The smarts and williness to share by the people surrounding this project is why I am here.  This samba extension is the last puzzle piece I was looking for to be able to upgrade my old P1 boxes from DSL.

Offline PingPing

« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2009, 11:07:51 PM »
FYI, I've just installed samba3.tcel (using 1.4.3) and I had to create the two directories (indicated in Kingdomcome's post) before samba would start.  Although I've been using linux for 4+ years I still consider myself a n00b and if it wasn't for Kingdomcome's post I would have had no idea why smbd wasn't starting.

Offline Juanito

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2009, 11:57:48 PM »
I suggest you report it as a bug to samba - cups used to have this bug, but they solved it in later releases  ;)

In the meantime, I'll try and remember to modify the info file.

Edit: info files modified
« Last Edit: May 29, 2009, 12:45:04 AM by Juanito »

Offline Kingdomcome

« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2009, 09:42:37 AM »
ping Juanito

If you have time, could you take a look at repackaging this?  The latest version in the 3.2 tree is 3.2.14 and the latest stable is 3.4.0  Im not sure if there is a big impact upgrading all the way to 3.4, but if so, 3.2 is still being maintained and has worked great for me so far.

The only file(s) that are keeping this extension from being 100% PPI compatible are the config file and privilege separation stuff. It would be awesome if those could get shuffled to /usr/local/etc/ during the configuring.

Also, (last thing) if the "feature" of not creating the necessary directories has not been fixed, perhaps making a post-install script to check for and create those if missing.

If you dont have the time, let me know and I'll give it a shot.

Offline Juanito

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2009, 01:37:49 PM »
I'm on vacation at the moment, but I should have time in a couple of weeks to look at this for tinycore-2.x - would that be OK?

Offline Kingdomcome

« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2009, 05:08:36 PM »
Absolutely that would be ok.  I didnt pay attention to the fact that this was in the 1.x thread, but personally I will be using it in 2.x.  I would also be interested in seeing the large dependency of cups and perl5 not be required, maybe splitting libcups out of the cups extension would be enough for samba to compile and run with cups support while not having cups as a required dependency.

Enjoy your vacation.    :D
« Last Edit: August 13, 2009, 05:21:35 PM by Kingdomcome »