WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: What? No Weepping corner in this forum?  (Read 15079 times)

Offline meanpt

What? No Weepping corner in this forum?
« on: December 22, 2009, 04:29:32 AM »
 ??? My requirements are:

1 - To "graphicalize" the access, reading and writing in any folder and partition of the windows filling system - and no, STOP THE RETURN TO THE  PROMPT TEXT COMMANDS OF THE DARK AGES OF THE COMPUTING HISTORY. This requirement is a must.

2- to have the damned internet browsers assuming your keyboard configuration without having to input any commands - at least, allow for  the downloading of a graphical interface, as an extension, to configure it.

3- To have the full name of the applications listed in the application browser, as well as having them grouped by type in the user perspective (you know, internet browsing, internet messaging, and so on).

4- To have, at least, a downloadable graphical extension for the uninstallation of any extension or application.

5- To "graphicalize" the tiny core  installation options and procedures.

6- To provide real time warnings on the resources, cause after opening some internet browser tabs, the browser crashes.

7- To allow virtual box install the guest additions module

Until then, I'll be weeping ... :'(

Offline roberts

• Administrator
  • Founder Emeritus
Re: What? No Weepping corner in this forum?
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2009, 07:05:14 AM »
Obviously your requirements are that of a fully featured turnkey traditional hard installed system.
There are several hundred of which that will better suit your demands. So 'crying' over the comparision of a 10MB versus 1000MB system is not very productive, nor will it elicit any sympathy.
10+ Years Contributing to Linux Open Source Projects.

Offline julianb

« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2009, 09:16:36 AM »
meanpt - tinycore doesn't have anyone who's being paid to take care of those requirements for you.

volunteers might make those features available in a future release - i'm quite sure all of this is possible for a "20MB small core" based on tinycore, BUT only if a few people step up and write the code.

While we wait for that to happen (it might never happen) please consider a distribution like Masonux or Puppylinux, both of which you can find in a search engine.

Offline JoXo009

« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2009, 07:13:31 PM »
My requirements ...

Good news

Offline meanpt

« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2009, 03:41:25 AM »
Obviously your requirements are that of a fully featured turnkey traditional hard installed system.
There are several hundred of which that will better suit your demands. So 'crying' over the comparision of a 10MB versus 1000MB system is not very productive, nor will it elicit any sympathy.

Wrong! Wrong! Wrong! tinycore already do most of it, but with text commands and a lot of linux knowledge. What I seek are loadable modules from the applications browser to be loaded and unloaded as needed and wanted, to keep the memory,s small foot print and usage. I,m currently writing without the right keyboard configuration which is nonsense for an application destined to be popular among everyone, including windows users, travellers and son one. In some way, it has the potential to be the equivalent to a micro windows mobile.   :D

Offline meanpt

« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2009, 03:59:29 AM »
meanpt - tinycore doesn't have anyone who's being paid to take care of those requirements for you.

volunteers might make those features available in a future release - i'm quite sure all of this is possible for a "20MB small core" based on tinycore, BUT only if a few people step up and write the code.

While we wait for that to happen (it might never happen) please consider a distribution like Masonux or Puppylinux, both of which you can find in a search engine.

Again, I do believe you,re also wrong on the requirements I posted. If I  wanted to use puppy I wouldn,t be here ranting and spending time. I do not whish tc to be a 20 mb OS, but to load and unload graphical command/options modules  >you know, modularity stuff?< mainly for what tc already does with text commands. But, of course, if  the main supporters and users want to keep it within a small club of linux wizards and geeks, instead of extending its critical mass of users, well it,s not up to me to criticize them. After all, I didn,t ask for tinycore, but after know it I did realize the potencial, if easier and with the current  and some more features became more accessible through simple and lite GUIs .

Offline meanpt

« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2009, 05:23:13 AM »
My requirements ...

Good news

:D I can see you managed to do it. As far as I can figure, you've mapped a E:drive in Windows (is it a virtual shared network folder "à la Virtualbox", or the bunch of complexities needed to create two shared folders in either guest and host OS's through some kind of network) while mounting a shared folder in your \mnt directory.

OK, don't make me spend the Christmas night and the New Year Eve looking for it. Please, kindly describe me your procedures for the OS's (linux guest and Windows host) and virtual box ... please?  ::)

[^thehatsrule^: fixed post]
« Last Edit: December 23, 2009, 02:28:11 PM by ^thehatsrule^ »

Offline JoXo009

Happy holydays all
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2009, 08:08:36 AM »
... kindly describe me your procedures
If you want to do it yourself, try the following steps:

1. Install Sun's Virtual Box on your Windows system.

2. Start VitualBox with TC 2.7 iso (see screenshot)

3. Follow TC installation guide. As last step don't reboot, but shutdown and detatch the iso (screenshot of top2).

4. Start VirtualBox again, open appbrowser and install the following extensions: icewm, xfe, xfi, xfv, xfw, VBox-OSE-additions and reboot

5. Enable VirtualBox folder sharing
 a. Use upper Devices/SharedFolders ... to prepare Windows for sharing and call the share 'vBox' (see screenshot)

b. open xfe, create the new file 'startSharing', right click 'Edit' it as follows

c. make it executable by right clicking 'Properties'
 d. Double click that file and the /mnt/win directory should show the content of your vBox share

6. Integrate that feature into your icewm menu and you are done

If you are experienced and have done it more than 50 times, the whole process will be finished within less than an hour.

If you lack experience the whole process may need up to a month as there are a lot of details which can ruin your result. So maybe you might wait on my ready made VDI.

Happy holydays all and especially the TC team

Offline JoXo009

Keyboard problem?
« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2009, 09:33:35 AM »
By the way,

if your Keyboard is not an US-keyboard
I,m currently writing without the right keyboard configuration

do the following additional steps

4a. Install the extension kmaps, reboot, visit the folder /usr/share/kmap and decide which kmap file could be appropriate for your keyboard - for example the file de-latin1.kmap

4b. Visit the folder /mnt/hda1/boot/grub, rightclick the file menu.lst for editing and add a kmap=xxxx (without the .kmap ending) resulting in the following kernel line for example:
kernel /boot/bzImage kmap=de-latin1

After rebooting your keyboard should work properly.

Good luck

« Last Edit: December 23, 2009, 09:35:35 AM by JoXo009 »

Offline tclfan

« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2009, 06:06:22 AM »
JoXo009:
Nice step-by-step instructions. A quick question related to Vbox additions extension: Do you get just mouse integration or video exceleration as well?
I have been primarily VMplayer user but recently I have done lots of testing of VirtualBox 3.1 and I see some specific architectural considerations that made me plan to move over to VirtualBox in spite of its future quite uncertain and possibly doomed (If it does happen, current 3.1.2 is good enough).

Offline JoXo009

« Reply #10 on: December 24, 2009, 06:43:12 AM »
Do you get just mouse integration or video exceleration as well?
I never used VMware/VMplayer so I don't know the content of the feature 'video exceleration'.

Virtual Box manual page 60 reads as follows:
Better video support While the virtual graphics card which VirtualBox emulates for
any guest operating system provides all the basic features, the custom video
drivers that are installed with the Guest Additions provide you with extra high
and non-standard video modes as well as accelerated video performance.

Finally, if the Guest Additions are installed, 3D graphics for guest applications
can be accelerated; see chapter 4.9, Hardware 3D acceleration
So I guess, Virtual Box has got no player of its own, but you can install other players and will get the needed acceleration.

Best you give it a try. Its easy to download, install and test.

Offline tclfan

« Reply #11 on: December 24, 2009, 11:23:31 AM »
JoXo009:
I meant to say I was using VMware VMplayer, which is VMware equivalent of the VirtualBox. VMware Tools that you install in the virtual machine correspond to VirtualBox Additions and provide video enhancement in addition to other functions, like mouse integration. Basically I was curious if the currently available extension - Vbox Additions also have the video enhancement, which means dynamic resolution, acceleration, etc.
Did you install Xorg in the TC VDI?

Offline Kingdomcome

« Reply #12 on: December 24, 2009, 05:40:25 PM »
The VBox additions extension does include video acceleration, dynamic resizing, mouse integration and more. It does depend on Xorg and friends.

Offline meanpt

« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2010, 04:20:36 AM »
  8) Hi Joxo009

I wish to thank you for your kind support and knowledge sharing.

I did achieve:

1. keymap configuration and
2. file sharing
3. understanding that the vbox guest additions provided in the repository do not provide for configuring a TC screen resolution matching that of my laptop.

Was not successful in installing new menu options or items for sharing/unsharing (hum ... a litle help here would be welcomed, sorry me for being dumb). Just didn't get on how to do it
Ahh ... Didn't find a way neither to "unmount" the sharing

What I did more: played with XFCE and LXDE desktops, but didn't adopt them. Once solved some additional problems, I plan to install one of these desktops and offer the vdi for some kids and no so kid friends, to play with.
Oh, in the meantime I went through the intallation of all the release caditates and stable releases.

I hope you'll keep your good support for which I'm very thankfull and, for shure, others will be too.

Mean ... as meaner it can be  ;D

Offline Terminator3000

« Reply #14 on: September 29, 2010, 06:55:56 PM »
 There is only 1 'p' in weeping.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2010, 07:01:44 PM by Terminator3000 »