WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: flash player install does not work.  (Read 7219 times)

Offline 0ldfart

flash player install does not work.
« on: December 18, 2009, 10:26:39 PM »
I have a fresh copy of TCL.

I installed Seamonkey, and ran it. then closed seamonkey and installed getflash10

I then restarted the computer, but when I go to youtube / metacafe, it says flash is not installed.

I then installed ROX to check my tce directory. I can see getflash10.tcz.dep and getflash10.tcz

Not sure where things are going wrong. The only other thing I have installed is alsa.

The wiki says to install browser, run it at least once, then getflash10 should install flash player, but it doesnt seem to have.

Can anyone point me in the right direction to get it working?

[edit] am I supposed to do something to install javascript in order to make Flash player work? - checked wiki again but there doesnt seem to be a mention of this in the install procedure.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2009, 10:29:49 PM by 0ldfart »

Offline thane

Re: flash player install does not work.
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2009, 11:27:10 PM »
Is alsa started, e.g. by running alsaconf? And did you run getflash; that is, right click on the desktop and run it from the applications menu? You need to do both (besides having already opened the browser) to generate the Flash 10 that actually executes.

It took me a few tries to get Flash (no pun intended) going.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2009, 11:51:12 PM by thane »

Offline 0ldfart

« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2009, 01:18:01 AM »
Is alsa started, e.g. by running alsaconf? And did you run getflash; that is, right click on the desktop and run it from the applications menu? You need to do both (besides having already opened the browser) to generate the Flash 10 that actually executes.

It took me a few tries to get Flash (no pun intended) going.

Ok. The problem was that I didnt run getflash. The wiki is not clear in this respect - it needs to distinguish between the app installer and the right-click context menu run-thing

so then I ran alsaconf and WOOHOO!  I now have working Flash :)

The only problem is that when I close the browser (Seamonkey) the audio from the video that was running continues to play.

Any ideas?

Jim
« Last Edit: December 19, 2009, 01:20:40 AM by 0ldfart »

Offline thane

« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2009, 02:30:00 AM »
I hit the same problem using Opera, hope this helps:

http://forum.tinycorelinux.net/index.php?topic=3179.15

Offline 0ldfart

« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2009, 02:36:20 AM »
Thanks, Thane

I will give it a go. Just one question,

Code: [Select]
sudo kill [insert PID #]
How do I get PID?

Offline Juanito

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2009, 02:40:57 AM »
How do I get PID?

$ ps aux | grep "what I'm looking for"
eg:
$ ps aux | grep cups
 5231 root     /usr/local/sbin/cupsd
PID=5231

Offline ^thehatsrule^

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2009, 01:46:25 PM »
Ok. The problem was that I didnt run getflash. The wiki is not clear in this respect - it needs to distinguish between the app installer and the right-click context menu run-thing
The extension's .info should be the first place to look for information.

sudo kill [insert PID #]
How do I get PID?
It can be easier to use `pidof <name>` for pid's or just `killall <name>` directly

Offline Jason W

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2009, 05:48:47 PM »
I think I will make the getflash script install the resulting flash10.tcz upon completion as it would cut down one step from the current "install getflash -> run getflash -> tce-load flash.10.tcz."

Offline jur

• cycling photo essays
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2009, 06:13:38 PM »
How often does one need to update flash? Wouldn't it be simpler to put flash with dependency list in the repo and dispense with getFlash10? Because that getFlash10 continues to uselessly occupy a spot on the menu and you can't get rid of it because then flash10's dependencies are not satisfied.

Offline Jason W

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2009, 06:29:34 PM »
flash10.tcz is a created extension resulting from the getflash extension and does not have a dep file.  Deleting getflash10.tcz* from the tce directory once it is used will not cause unsatisfied dependencies as nothing depends on getflash10.  We can't distribute Flash, so a download script is necessary. 

Offline 0ldfart

« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2009, 07:03:55 PM »
I think I will make the getflash script install the resulting flash10.tcz upon completion as it would cut down one step from the current "install getflash -> run getflash -> tce-load flash.10.tcz."

sounds like a great idea :)

Offline jur

• cycling photo essays
« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2009, 11:34:01 PM »
flash10.tcz is a created extension resulting from the getflash extension and does not have a dep file.  Deleting getflash10.tcz* from the tce directory once it is used will not cause unsatisfied dependencies as nothing depends on getflash10.  We can't distribute Flash, so a download script is necessary. 
Well. Previously flash10 didn't work (in Opera) until I mounted getFlash10... but now it does (in chromium). Must have been finger trouble before. :)

*goes away, strips away the getflash10 steps in scripts *

Offline jur

• cycling photo essays
« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2009, 03:43:21 AM »
OK I have been experimenting carefully and found:

Booting from my USB stick into Xvesa, flash in chromium seems to depends on openssl and curl. I have neither of these 2 loaded in advance and flash definitely does not work until I load these 2 libs.

Booting from the HDD into Xorg, openssl is pre-loaded but not curl. However flash does work but on checking, curl has been loaded when loading chromium. I can't explain why curl is not loaded in the Xvesa case and is loaded in the Xorg case. I can only guess there is a dependency somewhere that causes curl to load in the one case but not the other.

Bottom line: flash10 does need openssl and curl to work. So perhaps these dependencies need to be added to the browsers that use flash10?