WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: Changing desktop to LXDE  (Read 7010 times)

Offline Neo

Changing desktop to LXDE
« on: November 18, 2009, 11:29:06 PM »
Hi All,
I am running TC 2.5 installed on my sda11 partition.
In order for it to remember my installs and bookmarks I have to select back-up when restarting or shutting down.

I have installed LXDE, but don't know how to change my desktop to this from Flux.

When I right click on the desktop and search through the menu it appears that I am running Flux.

I would greatly appreciate your help.

Also does anyone know how I can make TC remember my installs and bookmarks without selecting "back-up"?

Offline bmarkus

• Administrator
    • My Community Forum
Re: Changing desktop to LXDE
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2009, 12:02:51 AM »
Hi All,
In order for it to remember my installs and bookmarks I have to select back-up when restarting or shutting down.

I have installed LXDE, but don't know how to change my desktop to this from Flux.

When I right click on the desktop and search through the menu it appears that I am running Flux.

Did you try the 'tinycore desktop=LXDE' boot option?
Béla
Ham Radio callsign: HA5DI

"Amateur Radio: The First Technology-Based Social Network."

Offline Kingdomcome

« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2009, 08:32:58 AM »
If you have multiple WMs (or DEs in the case of lxde) you will need to use the bootcode as mentioned by bmarkus.  To have lxde start without needing the bootcode, you could move the fluxbox extension to your tce/optional dir or delete from tce/.  It is also worth noting that the LXDE extension was updated in past 12 hours to improve starting, you may need to redownload LXDE.tcz to see lxde as expected.

Offline Neo

« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2009, 01:54:38 PM »
Hi All,

Did you try the 'tinycore desktop=LXDE' boot option?

Where do I make this change?

I don't recall seeing this option (I know that you are given several options for booting with the live cd, however I have TCL installed to my hard disk on the sda11 partition).

Offline bmarkus

• Administrator
    • My Community Forum
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2009, 02:17:52 PM »
It was mentioned in the LXDE thread: http://forum.tinycorelinux.net/index.php?topic=2936.msg19928#msg19928

To make sure that LXDE starts and not openbox, use 'tinycore desktop=lxde' boot option. You can add 'noicons' also to get rid of wbar which is not visible so no reason to run it.

But it is not needed anymore, due to a fix in openbox extension. Just update your set of extensions.
Béla

Offline Neo

« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2009, 03:19:58 PM »
It was mentioned in the LXDE thread: http://forum.tinycorelinux.net/index.php?topic=2936.msg19928#msg19928

To make sure that LXDE starts and not openbox, use 'tinycore desktop=lxde' boot option. You can add 'noicons' also to get rid of wbar which is not visible so no reason to run it.

But it is not needed anymore, due to a fix in openbox extension. Just update your set of extensions.

Sorry Bmarkus,
I am not new to Linux but am to TCL.

I have gone as far as downloading and installing XFCE, which I kinda like.

Anyway I had a look at the link you provide but can't for the life of me figure out how to change the desktop that launches with TCL.

I have tried doing an "upgrade extensions" but that hasn't helped me.
I have even shut down while selecting "backup", but to no avail.

I feel really dumb having to ask for this level of help given I've been known to roll up my sleeves and down and dirty with Linux.

If you could please spell it out for this humble "newbie" I would be most appreciative.

Many thanks.

Offline jur

• cycling photo essays
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2009, 03:28:59 PM »
He is saying that if you download all the latest stuff, including all of LXDE, it will auto-launch with no boot option.

(The boot option is a parameter you add onto the grub kernel line. See the FAQ for all booting options. So to ensure the right desktop starts if you have multiple ones installed, use the boot option "desktop=lxde":)

Code: [Select]
kernel /boot/bzImage desktop=lxde ..... [other boot options]

Offline Neo

« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2009, 08:20:26 PM »
He is saying that if you download all the latest stuff, including all of LXDE, it will auto-launch with no boot option.

(The boot option is a parameter you add onto the grub kernel line. See the FAQ for all booting options. So to ensure the right desktop starts if you have multiple ones installed, use the boot option "desktop=lxde":)

Code: [Select]
kernel /boot/bzImage desktop=lxde ..... [other boot options]

Thanks Jur, that's exactly what I needed to know.
I can now switch between booting up with Flux, LXDE or XFCE, it's great!
I prefer XFCE simply because it allows me to customize the desktop to a greater degree than the other two desktops.

Offline TamusJRoyce

« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2009, 03:23:48 AM »
Thanks for the post Neo.  Exactly the answer I was looking for, using the kernel parameter.

And thanks, bmarkus for lxde.  You know it's been on my lists of wants (didn't make much progress on building it myself, and this is PPI).

This is officially my favorite distro, and I was a hardcore gentoo/lfs fan.  Thanks!

Offline bmarkus

• Administrator
    • My Community Forum
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2009, 03:56:16 AM »

And thanks, bmarkus for lxde.  You know it's been on my lists of wants (didn't make much progress on building it myself, and this is PPI).

You are welcome :) ! I'm happy that LXDE port to TC is well received by the community. BTW, this si what I'm using now daily.
Béla