WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: wine  (Read 7537 times)

Offline cast-fish

• hi there
wine
« on: March 31, 2012, 10:39:08 AM »
Hello

have asked this before in the forum but search found nothing.

I installed "wine" .scm.

Ran it from a terminal....fine.

It needed some ghecko update...which was ok

I have installed some win32 tools using wine. (it worked ok)

But there is no menu entry for the win32 tools...no icons....how do i go about running those tools?

there is 1 tcl gui menu entry about "windows starter programs" but it did nothing when clicked.

V

Offline gutmensch

• Administrator
  • I can make it disappear, have no fear!
    • remembrance blog
Re: wine
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2012, 10:58:36 AM »
wine will not create automatically icons somewhere for windows programs. they are usually installed under /home/tc/.wine/drive_c/program files/... and you can run them with wine like

Code: [Select]
wine "c:\\Program Files\\Program\\executable"

or something similar. Also for program installation and all that stuff wine has builtin tools, e.g. run

wine progman
or
wine winebrowser

wine provides plenty of ".exe.so", which execute some builtin "windows" program, for more of them just browse the wine extension or look at AppBrowser -> Files.
If I seem unduly clear to you, you must have misunderstood what I said. (Alan Greenspan)

Offline cast-fish

• hi there
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2012, 11:12:51 AM »
hello

oh thankyou very much for the fast reply....

that information is greatly appreciated.

I was not sure if "winetricks" would work alongside the SCM version of wine...and winetricks was also a 55 meg download here....

i do think it is a shame that wine does not have simple menu methods to start win32 tools....but i will try your advice

V.

Offline gutmensch

• Administrator
  • I can make it disappear, have no fear!
    • remembrance blog
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2012, 11:22:05 AM »
well, winetricks only loads "system stuff" like windows libraries and fonts and so on. you need those from time to time for special reasons (e.g. you want to install MS office), but it will indeed only help installing and registering. for other real windows programs, there might be some facility, which creates icons for the installed apps, at least I remember something like that in fedora, but I'm not sure and it's of course a bit more tricky in Tiny Core as well ;) so atm the easiest way is to find the path to the windows executable in .wine/drive_c and execute it with "wine " prefixed.
If I seem unduly clear to you, you must have misunderstood what I said. (Alan Greenspan)

Offline curaga

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2012, 11:41:53 AM »
IIRC Wine puts .desktop icons under ~/.local for installed apps. So you'd have icons under a freedesktop wm.
The only barriers that can stop you are the ones you create yourself.

Offline cast-fish

• hi there
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2012, 03:26:46 PM »
hello

is the wine 1.4 tcz extension much improvement on the .scm wine version in TCL (1.3.1)

?

V.

Offline klsc

« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2012, 06:00:45 AM »
Hi,
I would use wine and a application with serial port access. I tested wine 1.4 on linuxmint and it works great after editing the system.reg and adding symlinks to dosdevices. after chmod for the /dev/ttyS0 it works.
Now on TinyCore I tested the scm version, and now the tcz version 1.4. in both versions the application says an error when it calls getcomstate/setcomstate.

Can you help me with a little insider information to solve these problem?

ks