WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: What is the practical difference in tce vs tcz ?  (Read 10209 times)

Offline junan

Re: What is the practical difference in tce vs tcz ?
« Reply #30 on: May 13, 2009, 12:27:55 AM »
how to remove it ?

there no guide to do it,
how to remove it if installed as PPR/TCE,PPR/TCZ or PPI/TCE ?

maybe all tce can be converted to tcz ,
is it possible ppr/tce converted to ppi/tce ?
fun and fearless ...

Offline tobiaus

• Suspended
« Reply #31 on: May 13, 2009, 03:15:06 AM »
tcz can be removed with no problems. this is because tcz is barely ever installed. (it installs almost nothing.) tce can be removed also. you would think it's a bad idea, but the mechanism that performs the uninstall is really exceptional. both have tools called tce-uninstall and tcz-uninstall, and sometimes you need them to remove a package. you just open the term, type "tce-uninstall" (or tcz for tcz) and the rest should be easy.

for ppr/tce and ppr/tcz removing a package is easier: delete the actual tce or tcz file from the tce folder and reboot. depending where its kept that may not remove everything (like flashplayer) that was not really part of a package, but downloaded by a download script (flashplayer is not technically part of any package.) you could try to treat that as a bug in tce-uninstall and see if flashplayer can be added, even though i believe tce-uninstall downloads .dep files or .list files, and neither file will list flashplayer itself.

Offline andyjimbo

« Reply #32 on: September 06, 2010, 03:50:27 AM »
I am getting interested in Linux after doing a project at school on operating systems.  Some of my friends age getting interested too and we are looking into different distributions.  Windows is sometimes described as "bloatware" and even Ubuntu, which I see is the most popular Linux, is quite big.  That's what attracted me to Tinycore.  I have been given an old laptop and would like to put Tinycore on and perhaps, when I've learned more, put Microcore on.  I'd like to start learning about the command line too.

I have read through the topic on the difference between TCE & TCZ but I must be thick cos I haven't really understood.  Could someone kind please explain in language suitable for kids, just what the difference is please and which I should use to put a few extra packages onto my laptop?  Thanks :-[

Offline tinypoodle

« Reply #33 on: September 06, 2010, 03:55:42 AM »
tce format for extensions - as opposed to tcz - is deprecated since a while.

"TCE" is used as a general acronym for Tiny Core Extensions.
"Software gets slower faster than hardware gets faster." Niklaus Wirth - A Plea for Lean Software (1995)

Offline Arslan S.

« Reply #34 on: September 06, 2010, 05:06:26 AM »
tce is a tarball but tcz is a compressed read-only file system (squashfs)
tce can only be extracted to root file system while tcz is mounted to /tmp/tcloop and symlinks created in root file system, tcz can also be copied to file system

root file system is a ram disk so extracting files to ram is not very good for low ram computers instead mounting extension from a persistent storage device (hard disk, usb memory etc.) is a better idea

tce is deprecated since TCL 2.7 and tcz is the unique extension type of TCL
« Last Edit: September 06, 2010, 05:09:12 AM by Arslan S. »