WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: Downloading extensions & dependencies  (Read 5484 times)

Offline tadryanom

Downloading extensions & dependencies
« on: April 14, 2009, 04:59:06 AM »
Hi, where are the links of the extensions that were in TCE repository http://distro.ibiblio.org/pub/linux/distributions/tinycorelinux/tce.html??? Because I was downloading the extensions using the browser.

Offline tadryanom

« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2009, 05:06:41 AM »
I would like to know how to resolve dependencies between extensions, and I downloaded some extensions and programs not starting, was missing because the libraries required by them.

Offline Jason W

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2009, 05:14:47 AM »
Using the appbrowser is the preferred means of installing extensions, and dependencies are automatically resolved that way.  The extension download links on the web page have been removed mainly because of the dependency problem people were having by not using the appbrowser.  The info file normally lists the dependencies of the extension, and the .dep file is what is used by the appbrowser to retrieve them.

Using the appbrowser makes installing extensions a pleasant experience, unlike downloading them from the web page.

Offline tobiaus

• Suspended
Re: Downloading extensions & dependencies
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2009, 11:31:00 AM »
Using the appbrowser makes installing extensions a pleasant experience, unlike downloading them from the web page.

(EDIT: i see what you've done there, not bad!) there still ought to be a way for "experts" to reach them (from a browser.) there have been rare occasions when it's the only way to get the extensions- it's also the only way to download them on a non-tc, non-linux machine (with internet access) to add them to tc (if it doesn't have access to the net.)
« Last Edit: April 14, 2009, 05:25:51 PM by tobiaus »

Offline Thndr

« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2009, 07:08:14 PM »
All the files have at least a MD5 checksum file or an Info file all you do is take a link like this:
http://distro.ibiblio.org/pub/linux/distributions/tinycorelinux/tce/ace-of-penguins.tcel.info

and take the .info off to get this:
http://distro.ibiblio.org/pub/linux/distributions/tinycorelinux/tce/ace-of-penguins.tcel

Which is now a link to the Ace of Penguins TCEL file.

Although personally I think there should be another column in the table that links to the file itself as well, because it's just a hassle to rename the link every time you want to download on a non-TC machine.

Offline tobiaus

• Suspended
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2009, 04:11:04 AM »
personally I think there should be another column in the table that links to the file itself as well, because it's just a hassle to rename the link every time you want to download on a non-TC machine.

that is exactly why there isn't one. there used to be another column that links to the file itself, and it caused new users to install using this method which easily leads to confusion and half-installed extensions. generally the appbrowser utility should be used, downloading an extension one dep at a time only by experienced users and under rare circumstances. even if you know exactly what you're doing, it's possible to simply "forget" to download a .dep. but i would  be unhappy if it was impossible to use a web browser to download the needed files (fortunately as you noticed, it isn't.)

Offline jls

dCore user

Offline tobiaus

• Suspended

Offline jls

« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2009, 02:11:49 AM »
oh right! but the forum has converted your link to http://ftp://distro.ibiblio.org/pub/linux/distributions/tinycorelinux/ for some reason.
because of the forum devolopers which have nothing to do with this distro
dCore user

Offline tobiaus

• Suspended
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2009, 08:16:26 PM »
more like the forum developers which don't think ftp is a legitimate protocol? it's very odd really.

here is a link to it, putting it in quotes helps: "ftp://distro.ibiblio.org/pub/linux/distributions/tinycorelinux/"

Offline gazzat5

« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2009, 07:29:40 AM »
Why not leave a link on the repo page that links to the ftp page with a not explaining 'for experts only' or whatever.

I am having trouble with the (wired) internet in my Halls here @Uni and therfore can't download the wireless extension that would allow me to download it at the Students Union or in an internet cafe. So it's a bit of a catch 22!

THanks for pointing to the ftp link
"ftp://distro.ibiblio.org/pub/linux/distributions/tinycorelinux/tcz/"

Note thought ibiblio allows a maximum of 6 connections, if you're using a download accelerator.

Offline pema

« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2010, 09:40:14 AM »
Anyone got a fresh link to the extensions area so I at least can download a file manager and setup a modem connection in TCL for connecting the app browser ?
Disapointing seeing TCL crew making same mistake as slitaz, ethernet connection is NOT standard.
And yes I can hack aorund with the terminal but Im just to damn lazy.

Offline pema

« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2010, 11:41:48 PM »
@ Juanito.
Yes sir, most appreciated, thank you.
Noticed the pppd package is removed in core but you gave me the hint to find it.

The appbrowser is a very good idea but maybe there could be a small "base setup package" downloadable beside the kernel containing most basic functions as filemanager, textwebbrowser(linx) and pppd for users of other connection paths than ethernet. Just an idea, Ill probably manage after your assistance.
Kudos for making TCL kernel so versatile supporting such a large variety of devices.