WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: Where is tc going?  (Read 1980 times)

Offline jur

• cycling photo essays
Where is tc going?
« on: December 05, 2009, 12:45:50 AM »
Please excuse this question - it is asked by a newbie in complete ignorance of what happens in the linux world.

I have noticed that several of the choice tc packages are apparently dormant. Such as flwm (according to the sourceforge page, the last activity was almost 2 years ago with the last version 1.0.2 posted 2006) or jwm (2007). Xvesa is another example.

This makes me wonder about the medium to long term direction of tc... I am committing a lot of my time on tc (my absolute favourite OS by a big margin) but if tc is using a lot of dormant stuff, is it inadvertently heading for the scrap heap?

Offline curaga

• Administrator
Re: Where is tc going?
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2009, 01:06:08 AM »
Quoting lucky13, packages don't expire. We use what we use because they are the best choice, in terms of size and functionality.

The Vesa standard isn't likely to change; so Xvesa should continue to function a long time. And if bugs arise in dormant core packages like flwm, we can and do fix them. Just ask Mike about what he did with flwm :)

Of course there is choice as well - one can choose to use a WM released recently (xfce4 for example), the full Xorg stack, and so on.
The only barriers that can stop you are the ones you create yourself.

Offline Iguleder

Re: Where is tc going?
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2009, 12:08:19 AM »
Take Puppy Linux as an example, 2 guys from the forums took the latest SVN of JWM and added rounded window corners and top-corners resize, plus bug fixes for gxine or whatever it was. Later, Joe added their fixes to JWM (457, I think).

We're in the open source world, the TC community can change FLWM and even fork it.