WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: direct me to TCZ moving tools?  (Read 6675 times)

Offline gerald_clark

• TinyCore Moderator
Re: direct me to TCZ moving tools?
« Reply #15 on: December 01, 2009, 11:33:42 AM »
Use relative symlinks.
cd tce.set1
ln -s ../tce.all/mc.tcz mc.tcz

Offline dentonlt

• the trombone analog
« Reply #16 on: December 01, 2009, 12:42:49 PM »
Ah - the links indeed work fine. I had moved the target files ... [sigh]

Now adjusting my little script to set up those links.

Haven't yet finished how to set them up for next boot, but it will be possible.

Offline dentonlt

• the trombone analog
« Reply #17 on: December 02, 2009, 05:26:35 AM »
Finally up and running! So, I have some tools to make and enable "profiles", a group of extensions that will load (or not load) at next boot. Components:

* a few lines in tce-setup to search for a profile; bail to normal if there is no profile
* setprofile - a script to set what extension set/profile will boot next
* saveprofile, restoreprofile, linktc.sh - scripts for making an extension profile
* data in /profiles, a subdirectory of the main tce directory - stores profile lists (about 40k for my current lists and their symlinks, future state, current state, and error messages)

So ... I can pick a profile that will be enabled/disabled at next boot. I am using it to select from a few different setups:

* base
* build environment
* netbook
* default (load everything as normal by disabling profile)

I do love GRUB, but it's nice not to have to set up different GRUB entries and select them at boot time.

I guess this setup isn't philosophically tight - It relies on having data outside of mydata.tgz, stored alongside the extensions. But it works for me =)

Thank you all for the help. Special kudos to Jason W - the linking script is a very basic change to the movetc script you sent earlier. I really appreciate it.

EDIT:
now that I've gone through all that ... it remains quite complex! I'm thinking of other ways to skin this.

EDIT:
going through and writing scripts to do this via .dep files ... (I'll dig up who told me to do that in the first place :o ). It may be possible to create an extension that pulls this off.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2009, 04:29:49 AM by dentonlt »