WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: tiny core computer  (Read 15496 times)

Offline Lee

• My Core wiki user page
Re: tiny core computer
« Reply #30 on: January 14, 2010, 04:18:19 PM »
Thane,

I have tried TC (don't remember what version) on a couple of Dell Dimensions (Dimensia?), the 4600 model, and the video didn't look right - colors way off.

Doesn't work right on a Poweredge 2200 server, either.

Works fine on a Dimension 4700.

Works fine on Poweredge SC440.

Microcore (with X & JWM) runs on Precision T1500 but needs waitusb > 5.

I may have an old Optiplex floating around my basement that I could plug in and test (or I may have stripped and pitched the last of them).

Lee
32 bit core4.7.7, Xprogs, Xorg-7.6, wbar, jwm  |  - Testing -
PPR, data persistence through filetool.sh          |  32 bit core 8.0 alpha 1
USB Flash drive, one partition, ext2, grub4dos  | Otherwise similar

Offline thane

« Reply #31 on: January 14, 2010, 05:46:56 PM »
Thanks for the replies.

My immediate budget situation isn't dire, but (besides the financial uncertainties a lot of people are facing) I'm probably going to have to replace the Windows XP PC my wife uses (Dell Dimension!) with a straight retail Windows 7 box (I don't have much hope of converting her to anything else). So my TCL hobby is definitely lower priority.

Offline ^thehatsrule^

• Administrator
« Reply #32 on: January 14, 2010, 06:07:19 PM »
Lee: most likely due to intel igp, or similar.  If interested, there are various fixes/workarounds in these forums.

Offline curaga

• Administrator
« Reply #33 on: January 15, 2010, 03:08:23 AM »
Both the fitpc2's have the Poulsbo graphics, so not recommended. Norhtec's Sis cpus sometimes have issues, and they (as the Atom) would not be an upgrade compared to a P3 in speed.

Via's stuff is nice, if not a little expensive. Nano would be an upgrade, the others not.

A recent AMD box on the cheap might be the best new choice, costing about the same as an atom nettop but with loads more speed and extensibility.
The only barriers that can stop you are the ones you create yourself.

Offline Lee

• My Core wiki user page
« Reply #34 on: January 15, 2010, 10:06:52 AM »
Lee: most likely due to intel igp, or similar.  If interested, there are various fixes/workarounds in these forums.

Thanks Hats.  Turns out the 2200 was so old even I didn't want it (now -that's- old!) and I haven't inherited the 4600's (yet).

I still haven't rummaged around for an Optiplex.  I inherited some of those from work a year or two (or three) ago but didn't keep most of them intact as they were the same basic vintage as my Compaqs (which I already knew were reliable) so most of the Optiplexes got cannibalized and the carcasses recycled.  I seem to recall one or two Optiplexes coming along much later than the rest though...  I think this is why my wife refers to  my toys as "that junk".
32 bit core4.7.7, Xprogs, Xorg-7.6, wbar, jwm  |  - Testing -
PPR, data persistence through filetool.sh          |  32 bit core 8.0 alpha 1
USB Flash drive, one partition, ext2, grub4dos  | Otherwise similar

Offline thane

« Reply #35 on: January 15, 2010, 12:11:14 PM »
Unfortunate about Dells Lee, since I too may be able to inherit one at some point. They also seem to be one of the most common "refurbished" types available. No big rush though; like yours my Compaq has been reliable running TCL (far less hassle so far than the Dell running Windows!), just a bit slow.

Thanks curaga for the AMD tip. I hadn't really thought much about that type but will look into it.

Offline tetonca

« Reply #36 on: January 15, 2010, 02:40:19 PM »
If you get bad colors from video, try dropping down to
800x600 to get a full palette, on an older machine.

It takes some experimentation to find the vga=xxx
parameter that works best on a given machine.

Offline thane

« Reply #37 on: February 27, 2010, 12:24:07 PM »
A little OT, but I just found out my Tiny Core setup has survived some powerbutton playing by my 1-year-old grandnephew. I don't recommend trying this but it's nice to have such a robust distro. Thanks Tiny Core!

Offline thane

« Reply #38 on: March 13, 2010, 05:46:12 PM »
Well, looks like the hard disk went -- tried to boot TC today and it would hang before it loaded extensions. After a bit of fiddling found out the hard drive was timing out. Since I don't have TC installed on the hard drive (it always sounded flaky), disabled the IDE (or something) and now TC boots. Occasionally a shot in the dark hits the target, I guess.

edit: Well, I thought it was OK, but it sounds like the hard disk is still being accessed (no light though). Guess I'll have to disconnect it completely...

OK, disconnected the hard drive and re-enabled the IDE (or whatever); seems to work.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2010, 03:02:48 AM by thane »

Offline thane

« Reply #39 on: May 29, 2010, 01:15:54 AM »
<bump>

Well, I bit the bullet and got hit by a bullet. Bought an AMD box with 2g memory and no hard disk. It's a barebones but I paid for the assembly.

Anyway, it boots TCL off the CD and the appbrowser works. However, it not only failed to recognize my usb stick but apparently fried it. After I shutdown I removed the stick and it was very warm to the touch. My old Compaq box couldn't read it (although it did successfully read another usb stick with a tce directory on it).

Guess I'll have to crack the case and see whats wrong in there (it's an InWin V564 Micro ATX). There are clips on it but popping them loose doesn't seem to do anything. Will start taking out screws unless somebody's got a better idea. At least they sent along an assembly manual. Sigh.

Offline curaga

• Administrator
« Reply #40 on: May 29, 2010, 01:19:29 AM »
Fried usb ports are the most common hardware fault for warranty repairs.

Offline thane

« Reply #41 on: May 29, 2010, 02:02:45 AM »
I wonder if it's worth bagging the warranty and getting it fixed locally if possible. $50 - 60 shipping each way between here (Hawaii) and Nevada, besides the hassle. So what's involved? I was sort of hoping it might be a miswire or jumper setting problem. But if parts are fried....

edit: don't know if it's relevant, but the usb stick was initialized by a usb 1.0 box and the new box is usb 2.0. Stick was fairly new though (~ 1 year).
« Last Edit: May 29, 2010, 02:22:33 AM by thane »

Offline curaga

• Administrator
« Reply #42 on: May 29, 2010, 02:33:26 AM »
Usually if a port burns, it only takes itself, or in worse cases the same hub. Other ports/hubs should still work (ports at the back if this was at front, for example).

Luckily there isn't a jumper for overvolting usb; the cable could have been plugged in a wrong spot/way though (if these were the front ports).

Offline thane

« Reply #43 on: May 29, 2010, 02:59:42 AM »
The front usb ports don't seem to work at all -- the rear ones fry my sticks. I got the manual and I know a couple people who've assembled boxes from scratch so I'll see what I can do. This is starting to look like one of those painful lesson things though...

Offline thane

« Reply #44 on: June 02, 2010, 06:15:24 PM »
Looks like no way to fix (rear usb ports are connected directly to motherboard).

Time to send it back.