WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: flwm : window maxmize button  (Read 2467 times)

Offline frimical

flwm : window maxmize button
« on: November 28, 2009, 01:04:47 PM »
hello,

Eventhough existing maximize buttons in each direction are really helpful, but frequently it's necessarry to fully maximize a window.

Is it possible to have a maximize button next to the existing ones?

thank you

Offline MikeLockmoore

• Good software needn't be big!
Re: flwm : window maxmize button
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2009, 07:37:44 PM »
frimical: I'm the guy that changed flwm to have a more conventional layout (titles on top).  I've thought about adding a "maximize in both directions" button, but I hesitated because:

1)  Having five buttons will make the window look more complex, while only saving one mouse click

2)  Maximizing in both directions will cover up the wbar area at the bottom of the screen, which many people would not want to happen

3) It will make the flwm executable slightly bigger 

4) Other window managers like jwm offer such a maximize button, so people can install one of those if it is really important to them.

So I don't expect that we will implement  this as part of TC base.  Maybe a "flwm delux" could be made in the future with this kind of button, or at least an option to turn it on.  But I have other projects I want to work on first.
--
Mike L.

Offline frimical

« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2009, 01:22:35 PM »
hello MikeLockmoore, and thanks for replying.

4) because other wm offers max button only that made flwm more interesting on this point.
3) maybe in making the max button trigger maxh and maxw functions only ( it's a simplistic but quick approach that doesn't enlarge that much the exec file i guess)
2) that's what i thought first; but after a period I felt the need to just click once to get things done ( knowing that the cursor stays where we  click; w have to move the cursr to get to the other max button... ehm.. many times in a session, it gets annoying. try it you'll end up by agreiing with me )
1) i think five buttons will not be that much if they add to ease of use / ergonomy , even on the smallest dialog, mnttl  maybe?
0) If I can help, I'm ready. We really don't need to have an 'flwm delux' or any other option implementation.

thank you again

Offline thane

« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2009, 01:55:55 PM »
FWIW, I like the separate horizontal and (especially) vertical minimizing in flwm. Took a little getting used to but now I find the simultaneous minimizing behavior in other managers annoying! Mostly I'm looking at browser windows displaying text. I normally open windows at maximum and minimize only to view another window or the icons (generally work in one window at a time and hardly ever have a large number open at once). I guess everybody has their own taste...

Offline frimical

« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2009, 05:27:55 PM »
I think that we agree on the same things.
I like the actual separate max H&W buttons, and I don't like to see them go.
I still think that a one more button for max mode is the one missing. ( one can go left then turn right to reach a point that he could have reached it faster by going straight)
Raising hidden wndws using right button is possible without the need to minimize the working one. 

Offline ^thehatsrule^

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2009, 05:55:10 PM »
I've seen WMs with one maximize button but it combines all 3 features into one (i.e. via left, middle, right clicks)