WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: openssl version  (Read 10033 times)

Offline maro

Re: openssl version
« Reply #30 on: March 29, 2010, 03:26:55 PM »
Jason: I don't think that releasing '0.9.8n' inside an extension named 'openssl-0.9.8m.tcz'  is the best way forward.

Even with all the "fun and games" which was had with the various '0.9.8' versions, IIRC this has not resulted in a single negative report from any user (touch wood!). So I think we can now be a bit more confident in the integrity of those patch releases. I believe we should just have one 'openssl-0.9.8.tcz' extension, which gets updated whenever it seems prudent to do so. That means one last renaming in the .dep files and everybody will hopefully "live happily ever after".

This "final renaming" step might be postponed until the last traces of '0.9.8k' are gone, which at this moment are only two extensions: vsftpd-ssl and x11vnc.

Furthermore looking around the security related extensions, I'd like to bring to your attention that GnuTLS has two weeks ago released v2.8.6. IIRC our extension is currently v2.8.4. Since v2.8.5 and v2.8.6 are labeled as bug fixes I'm not sure if a rebuild is urgently required, but might not be a bad idea to consider anyway.

Offline Jason W

• Administrator
Re: openssl version
« Reply #31 on: March 29, 2010, 03:55:14 PM »
Releasing apps that are patched while keeping the same version number is quite common, but the point of it being to prevent folks from having to adjust their existing dep files. 

We can change the extension name one more time to openssl-0.9.8, and update it to "n".  One last name change in the 0.9.x series. 

Xchat did see some small issue with the ssl upgrade, but at this point the updates to 0.9.8 are probably going to be small patches that will not cause concern.   I will remove the remaining references to the k version and then the extension itself. 

As for openssl-1.0.0, I don't think 3.x is a good time as there are many other things that will have to be done for the release, but apps are not needing a rebuild.  Perhaps when a time comes that requires rebuilding apps we can rebuild for ssl at the same time.