WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: Can't understand all the permutations of persitence.  (Read 5415 times)

Offline roberts

• Administrator
  • Founder Emeritus
Re: Can't understand all the permutations of persitence.
« Reply #15 on: December 06, 2009, 08:24:48 AM »
TCE in the titles refers to the :tce directory", which stands for "Tiny Core Extensions", and the boot option used to specify such. The directory name is not tcz nor is the boot option.

Appbrowser Install does not necessarily installs to ram, it depends on mode, if a persistent local is being used then it installs onto the disk where specified by the "local" boot option for PPI compatible extensions. If using traditional (scatter) installation the install option, installs as a traditional distro would onto the disk where the filesystem was installed, again no ram involved.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2009, 08:27:58 AM by roberts »
10+ Years Contributing to Linux Open Source Projects.

Offline h-munster

« Reply #16 on: December 14, 2009, 02:10:32 PM »
Thanks for the explanation of the TCE directory.

The confusion between "TCE" and "TCZ" results from Tiny Core's extension history and mode history:  formerly using extensions with suffixes of ".tce" and ".tcz"; and formerly using modes with TCE and TCZ in their titles.

If use of the term TCE is not imperative, then it might reduce confusion to change the name of the extensions directory to something more descriptive and completely different from "TCEs" and "TCZs", such as:  the "extensions" directory; or the "ext" directory; or the "xtns" directory; etc.

In regards to the Appbrowser, I think that we are partially saying the same thing.  It seems that the first mode you describe is TC's Local/Install mode.  I'm guessing that the "scatter" installation is that of most distros, and that that method is not a TC mode.

Would you agree that the "TCE/Install" and "TCE/Mount" modes are identical except for the files listed in /tce/tcz2ram.lst (and, also, except for the existence of /tce/tcz2ram.flg)?

Offline roberts

• Administrator
  • Founder Emeritus
« Reply #17 on: December 14, 2009, 03:29:34 PM »
I agree that currently things are confusing. A by product of rapid growth and trying to support many needs from a diverse community.

The easy and recommended way to use Tiny Core is by way of mounting from a PPR, i.e., a tce folder.
The only reason to use alternate methods are for special cases, special needs.

Starting with v2.7 I will be heavily promoting mount style use of TC/MC!
Copy to filesystem, be it ram or persisted /usr/local (PPI) will still be supported, but only by way of renamed copy2fs.flg and copy2fs.lst  Hopefully with more appropriate names and a single default things will be easier to understand.
10+ Years Contributing to Linux Open Source Projects.

Offline h-munster

« Reply #18 on: December 14, 2009, 10:52:20 PM »
Glad to hear that you are open to adjusting things to make them a little easier to understand.

I know that TC/MC is growing fast, and a lot of people are giving input.

I will hold off my attempt to make a chart of TC structure/persistence until after 2.7 is up and running.

Thanks.

Offline julianb

« Reply #19 on: December 19, 2009, 07:10:46 AM »
Starting with v2.7 I will be heavily promoting mount style use of TC/MC!

Because I started using TinyCore after 2.6 came out, I had thought for a while that the first two digits of the kernel number and the TinyCore version number were going to be the same. Tinycore 2.4, kernel 2.4... tinycore 2.6, kernel 2.6...  :P silly me