WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: wicd  (Read 43915 times)

Offline Miller

Re: wicd
« Reply #15 on: February 04, 2010, 05:04:09 AM »
Hello All

The current version of wicd is not playing ball with my atheros wlan card. Yes I have checked that the ath9k module is loaded.
Here is the output from wicd-client

root@box:home/tc/# wicd-start
root@box:home/tc/# wicd-client
Xlib:  extension "Generic Event Extension" missing on display ":0.0".
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/local/share/wicd/gtk/wicd-client.py", line 63, in <module>
    from wicd import dbusmanager
  File "/usr/local/lib/python2.6/site-packages/wicd/dbusmanager.py", line 93, in <module>
    DBUS_MANAGER = DBusManager()
  File "/usr/local/lib/python2.6/site-packages/wicd/dbusmanager.py", line 57, in __init__
    self._bus = dbus.SystemBus()
  File "/usr/local/lib/python2.6/site-packages/dbus/_dbus.py", line 202, in __new__
    private=private)
  File "/usr/local/lib/python2.6/site-packages/dbus/_dbus.py", line 108, in __new__
    bus = BusConnection.__new__(subclass, bus_type, mainloop=mainloop)
  File "/usr/local/lib/python2.6/site-packages/dbus/bus.py", line 125, in __new__
    bus = cls._new_for_bus(address_or_type, mainloop=mainloop)
dbus.exceptions.DBu.ception: org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.FileNotFound: Failed to connect to socket /var/run/dbus/system_bus_socket: No such file or directory
root@box:home/tc/#

Any suggestions would be great!
Many thanks, Miller.

Offline bmarkus

• Administrator
    • My Community Forum
« Reply #16 on: February 04, 2010, 05:08:09 AM »
According to the message it has nothing to do with the wireless card; DBUS subsystem is not running.
Béla
Ham Radio callsign: HA5DI

"Amateur Radio: The First Technology-Based Social Network."

Offline Miller

« Reply #17 on: February 04, 2010, 05:09:39 AM »
Hi Bela

How do I get the dbus subsystem to run please?

Miller.

Offline bmarkus

• Administrator
    • My Community Forum
« Reply #18 on: February 04, 2010, 05:14:58 AM »
wicd-start does the job normally, no any other action needed. However in some cases you have to wait a bit till it starts-up, so try to run client a bit later. Are you using LXDE or Xfce4? If not, use 'wicd-client -n' to start GUI.

One more thing. Run client as user (tc) and not as root. Lets see the result.
Béla

Offline Miller

« Reply #19 on: February 04, 2010, 05:22:47 AM »
Hi Bela

Thanks for your reply.

I'm using FLWM topside (default). I ran wicd-client -n as non root user and the same error messages appears as before.

Miller.

Offline bmarkus

• Administrator
    • My Community Forum
« Reply #20 on: February 04, 2010, 05:40:12 AM »
Just tested WICD on 2.8.1 desktop without any wireless hardware. It works as expected and can manage wired Ethernet interface.

After issuing 'sudo wicd-start' command, you must see dbus-daemon running with the 'ps' command. If not, this is a dbus issue. If it is there, check wicd log in /var/log/wicd.

BTW, which TC version is used and what is the installation type? Are all components up to date?
Béla

Offline Miller

« Reply #21 on: February 04, 2010, 06:05:28 AM »
Hi Bela

I'm using TC 2.8.1 as a fresh install (yesterday) onto a SD card. This card is sdb1. I have all extensions installed to /mnt/sdb1/tce/optional
The TC install is just your default type with nothing customised or hacked.

Yes all components are up to date. At your suggestion concering the dbus subsytem, I removed all 9 dbus files from the tce optional directory. ie  dbus, dbus-python & dbus-glib (.tcz, .tcz.dep & .tcz.md5.txt variants) I replaced these extensions with older versions from Dec 2009 repository. Now wicd appears to be behaving itself!

It's getting close to midnight in this part of the world so I had best be away.

I will run the checks you suggest tomorrow and report back. Thanks for all your assistance. Much obliged.

Best

Miller.

Offline Jason W

• Administrator
« Reply #22 on: February 04, 2010, 06:29:01 AM »
The dbus and other extensions no longer start the service with the /usr/local/tce.installed startup script.  This is being done to pave the way for recursive dependencies, and we can't have our cake and eat it too when it comes to recursion vs. controlling the order of dependency loading, which was necessary to have the startup scripts start daemons for some extensions. 

The scripts in /usr/local/etc/init.d are now being used to start daemons, and those start commands can be placed in bootlocal.sh. 

"/usr/local/etc/init.d/dbus start" would be the command.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2010, 06:31:05 AM by Jason W »

Offline bmarkus

• Administrator
    • My Community Forum
« Reply #23 on: February 04, 2010, 06:36:19 AM »
Jason

WICD and DBUS installed just recently from the repo starts fine and works expected on my machines, so Miller's problem is not related to this change. Atleast as I see at the moment.

Lets wait for the report.
Béla

Offline cefcom

« Reply #24 on: February 04, 2010, 01:51:30 PM »
Hi all:
I get the same error as Miller regarding the wicd-client output in both of my laptops (Acer Aspire One D150 with a Broadcomm wlan card, the wl module loaded and a Dell Inspiron 9100).  I used the latest tc 2.8.1 version default install on an usb (=sdb1) with persistent tce and home.  Desktop is FLWM.

Tried what Jason suggested, but keep getting same error.

Cefcom

Offline loutre

« Reply #25 on: February 04, 2010, 08:39:25 PM »
I'm trying to make Tiny Core 2.8 working on a HP Mini 1110NR with Broadcom chip. I followed the instructions on the wiki, plus this post on the forum, and I've got the exact same error message except from the last part. Instead of "No such file or directory", I get a "Connexion refused" error on /var/run/dbus/system_bus_socket. I'm using wicd-client -n as normal user. Thanks.

Offline bmarkus

• Administrator
    • My Community Forum
« Reply #26 on: February 04, 2010, 09:59:59 PM »
Thanks for the reports. Will check during the week-end :(
Béla

Offline bmarkus

• Administrator
    • My Community Forum
« Reply #27 on: February 04, 2010, 11:01:13 PM »
Good news, I get the same error on a fresh 2.8.1 installed from the repo, so I can fix it in few days. Please be patient a while.

As a temprary fix, do not use wicd-start, but:

sudo /usr/local/etc/init.d/dbus start
sudo wicd

Now WICD client will work as usual.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2010, 11:22:11 PM by bmarkus »
Béla

Offline Miller

« Reply #28 on: February 04, 2010, 11:52:14 PM »
Greetings All

To summarize so far, wicd appears to be running properly on a fresh (4th Feb 2010 repository) install of TC 2.8.1 only when I replace the current (dbus.tcz, dbus-glib.tcz and dbus-python.tcz) extensions (plus their respective .tcz.dep & .tcz.md5.txt files) with older versions.

The older versions I used are: dbus.tcz ver: 1.2.16 , dbus-glib.tcel ver: 0.82 , dbus-python.tcz ver: 0.83.0
NB: I have attached to this post the 3 info files (prefixed with "good-") associated with each of these older extensions I installed. 

The results of the terminal "ps" show the dbus subsystem running. This output is attached as good-wicd-ps-output.txt to this post.

/*************************************************************************/
As an aside, after wicd is installed I run this script to tidy up, then reboot. Thanks Bela for this.

#!/bin/sh
echo "This script will configure wicd..."
echo "wicd-start" >> /opt/bootlocal.sh
echo "usr/local/etc/wicd" >> /opt/.filetool.lst
echo "usr/local/var/lib/wicd/configurations" >> /opt/.filetool.lst
echo "All done, wicd changes effective on next boot..."
/*************************************************************************/

Today 5 Feb 2010 I reformatted the SD card and performed a fresh installation of TC 2.8.1. I only installed nano & wicd, both downloaded from the repository. wicd again would not run.

Here is the (faulty) wicd.log file contents:

2010/02/05 14:28:58 :: ---------------------------
2010/02/05 14:28:58 :: wicd initializing...
2010/02/05 14:28:58 :: ---------------------------
2010/02/05 14:28:58 :: wicd is version 1.7.0 552
2010/02/05 14:28:58 :: Traceback (most recent call last):
2010/02/05 14:28:58 ::   File "/usr/local/share/wicd/daemon/wicd-daemon.py", line 1839, in <module>
2010/02/05 14:28:58 ::     main(sys.argv)
2010/02/05 14:28:58 ::   File "/usr/local/share/wicd/daemon/wicd-daemon.py", line 1801, in main
2010/02/05 14:28:58 ::     bus = dbus.SystemBus()
2010/02/05 14:28:58 ::   File "/usr/local/lib/python2.6/site-packages/dbus/_dbus.py", line 202, in __new__
2010/02/05 14:28:58 ::     private=private)
2010/02/05 14:28:58 ::   File "/usr/local/lib/python2.6/site-packages/dbus/_dbus.py", line 108, in __new__
2010/02/05 14:28:58 ::     bus = BusConnection.__new__(subclass, bus_type, mainloop=mainloop)
2010/02/05 14:28:58 ::   File "/usr/local/lib/python2.6/site-packages/dbus/bus.py", line 125, in __new__
2010/02/05 14:28:58 ::     bus = cls._new_for_bus(address_or_type, mainloop=mainloop)
2010/02/05 14:28:58 :: dbus.exceptions.DBu.ception: org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.FileNotFound: Failed to connect to socket /var/run/dbus/system_bus_socket: No such file or directory

I have attached the results of the terminal "ps" which shows the dbus subsystem not running. This output is attached as faulty-wicd-ps-output.txt to this post.

I have installed Tiny Core 2.8.1 to a MSI-Wind U100. The sata HD has been replaced with a sata-CF adapter w/2Gb flash card (sda1). I pop a 1Gb SD card in the card slot (sdb1) and install TC on it. The internal wlan is an Atheros 9280 pci-e type.

Hope this helps,

Best

Miller.

Offline bmarkus

• Administrator
    • My Community Forum
« Reply #29 on: February 05, 2010, 12:13:37 AM »
With the current extension set start WICD as above.
Béla