WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: Keep Image Mode in Linux  (Read 5965 times)

Offline neonix

Keep Image Mode in Linux
« on: November 19, 2009, 12:30:46 AM »
I was always fascinated about Windows XP hibernation mode.
Some time ago I was heard about Windows XP Embedded and HORN mode. HORN means "Hibernate once, resume many". Now I am using suspend-to-ram mode, its very fast, but I am wondering, is there possible to use/implement a very similar  "Keep Image Mode" in TC?

Offline philip

Re: Keep Image Mode in Linux
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2009, 09:20:58 PM »
Does this sound like what you want?

TuxOnIce is most easily described as the Linux equivalent of Windows' hibernate functionality, but better. It saves the contents of memory to disk and powers down. When the computer is started up again, it reloads the contents and the user can continue from where they left off. No documents need to be reloaded or applications reopened and the process is much faster than a normal shutdown and start up.

It's the opening statement at www.tuxonice.net. I looked at this once and found it fascinating, but didn't have time to try it. If you do, good luck -- and please report back!

Offline neonix

« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2009, 06:13:46 AM »
Unfortunately Linux kernel recompilation is to complex for me. The question is: "Is there any LiveCD Linux distribution with suspend-to-disk working mechanism?"

Offline gerald_clark

• TinyCore Moderator
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2009, 09:12:20 AM »
It is actually much more complicated than that.
All hardware devices must be initialized, and returned to the exact state
before the powerdown.

There is no 'Linux' approved method to do this, although some video drivers
make an attempt.

Offline ^thehatsrule^

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2009, 12:26:00 AM »
There may be suspend to file support?

Link of interest: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hibernate_(OS_feature)#Linux

Offline dentonlt

• the trombone analog
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2009, 03:31:40 PM »
Hey, Neo. I worked out suspend/hibernate on a previous TC installation, but decided it wasn't worth it for me (http://forum.tinycorelinux.net/index.php?topic=455.0). Cold boot and hibernate times were pretty much identical. I didn't keep suspend, either, but I'll be interested to see what you decide.

On Windows, I certainly use hibernate a lot. Resume in 30 sec is much better than a 1-2 minute boot!

Offline dentonlt

• the trombone analog
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2009, 08:57:15 PM »
I now have hibernate (s2disk) working on an HP Mini 1001 + TInycore 2.6. Basically, the notes that I made for an HP Evo laptop work fine for 2.6 on this new hardware. Read:

http://forum.tinycorelinux.net/index.php?topic=455.0

Since TC has gone to mounted extensions, there is little application data to write to disk ... so hibernate & resume goes VERY fast.

I am working on a script to patch tinycore.gz to support hibernate. I will eventually post that in the user scripts section.