WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: Knoppix 6.2  (Read 4418 times)

Offline bmarkus

• Administrator
    • My Community Forum
Knoppix 6.2
« on: November 19, 2009, 03:16:22 AM »
Knoppix 6.2 was released yesterday on a full CD and DVD, with 2.6.31.6 of the Linux kernel. Good to see it is still alive. This was the first Live LINUX I used for long time before changed over to SLAX. It is a bit funny to see a boot message of a 690M distro it is based on MICROKNOPPIX, but otherwise it looks nice.

Also interesting, that starting with 6.0 default desktop is LXDE.

Depending on your choice of CD or DVD, a variety of software packages from the Debian software repositories (www.debian.org) is installed. The CD version contains at least:

* LXDE as the standard desktop,
    * Open Office,
    * the Firefox WWW browser,
    * GNU Image Manipulation Program GIMP,
    * MPlayer Multimedia System,
    * Internet-access software for (W)LAN, modem, isdn, umts/gprs,
    * Tools for data rescue, network analysis and system repair.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2009, 03:22:03 AM by bmarkus »
Béla
Ham Radio callsign: HA5DI

"Amateur Radio: The First Technology-Based Social Network."

Offline fos

• Far Out Science
Re: Knoppix 6.2
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2009, 08:43:21 PM »
I have always enjoyed Knoppix. It was the first LiveCD as far as I know. I can remember the rapid pace of its development in the early days.

Jeff

Offline roberts

• Administrator
  • Founder Emeritus
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2009, 03:58:41 AM »
DemoLinux was the first livecd, however it was very slow. But back then cdrom were way to slow to be of much use in a livecd environment. As cdrom speeds improved Knoppix became the first popular livecd.
10+ Years Contributing to Linux Open Source Projects.

Offline bmarkus

• Administrator
    • My Community Forum
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2009, 04:07:46 AM »
According to http://wapedia.mobi/en/Live_CD or http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Live_CD

The first Linux-based 'Live CD' was Yggdrasil Linux first released in beta form 1992~1993 (ceased production in 1995), though in practice its functionality was hampered due to the low throughput of then-current CD-ROM drives. DemoLinux, released in 1998, was the first Linux distribution specially designed as a live CD. Three years later, Knoppix, a Debian-derived Linux distribution was released in 2003, and found popularity as both a rescue disk system and as a primary distribution in its own right. Since 2003, the popularity of live CDs has increased substantially, partly due to Linux Live scripts and remastersys which made it very easy to build customized live systems.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2009, 04:10:07 AM by bmarkus »
Béla
Ham Radio callsign: HA5DI

"Amateur Radio: The First Technology-Based Social Network."

Offline roberts

• Administrator
  • Founder Emeritus
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2009, 04:24:38 AM »
Never saw Yggdrasil. They predate me! I was making custom linux cds in 1995 and was giving them away to visitors including several from France and Austrialia. I came acorss another site about
A Timeline of Open Source in Government, see: http://linuxdevcenter.com/pub/a/linux/2002/07/15/osgov_timeline.html I see that got my name wrong, Gary? Where did he get that? The history is also on my website.
10+ Years Contributing to Linux Open Source Projects.

Offline tclfan

« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2009, 05:56:31 AM »
Never saw Yggdrasil. They predate me! I was making custom linux cds in 1995 and was giving them away to visitors including several from France and Austrialia.
I did use Yggdrasil in those times and I thought it was excellent for what was expected. I think I remember it even had sound out of the box...
This means I must be really ancient...